586,060 active members*
3,654 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tb6560 x axis with problem

Hi,

I had a 3 axis tb6560 motor driver, it moves ok in the y and z axis but in thhe x axis it moves but slow and discontinous (jumping).
    i connected the motor that was in the x axis to the y axis and works ok.
    i also exchange the configuration pins in mach 3 of x and y axis and the x axis still has the problem, so i think is the board.
    there is something else i can try ??

Re: tb6560 x axis with problem

Have you considered getting rid of it and buying something better?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

TB6560 controllers are "hit and miss", but if you happen to get a working one they do the job. Considering the fact that you can buy up to eight TB6560 boards for the price of one Gecko, they remain a perfectly valid option for budget-limited hobbyists.

I had a TB6560 board once that had a weird problem of missed steps in one particular spot of a complex toolpath (I guess the axis speed was just right in that spot to cause a resonance or something). I replaced it 4 years ago with another one and haven't had a problem with it ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Considering the fact that you can buy up to eight TB6560 boards for the price of one Gecko, they remain a perfectly valid option for budget-limited hobbyists.
    You can buy about 3 6560's for the price of 1 of my THB6064AH kits (which will get you most of the capability of a Gecko) and you can /repair/ one of my kits (replace the chip) for LESS than the cost of a 6560. And... it will /actually/ do 200 watts (4 amps at 50 volts) continuous where the 6560's are lucky if they can get halfway to their rated power.

And the 6560's aren't only unreliable from one unit to the next, they are ALSO unreliable over time. They will work great for some number of power ups, and then suddenly fry on power on. This is because the chip is specifically designed to have the power come up in sequence: Logic power first, THEN motor power. And every single cheap chinese board out there derives the logic power from the motor power, which means the power up sequence is backwards. The chip datasheet specifically says, in large type, that this is not ok.

If you are going to do this and be successful over the long run, buy quality.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

I changed the tb6560 chip and the same is happening.
    What else can be?