588,093 active members*
4,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Temperature Sensitive Huanyang VFD

Temperature Sensitive Huanyang VFD

Howdy, we have a 6040 router that we use to engrave aluminum, and the 2.2kw Huanyang VFD will only turn on if the ambient temperature is under 80 F (27 C). If it's hot, the relay will click on and the screen will light up for a second before shutting off. It will repeat this cycle every 4-5 seconds until unplugged. Is there a thermal protection sensor somewhere that is possibly faulting? Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks.

Had it been working previously without issue? And is it repeatable? It could possibly be an indication of a faulty sensor or even faulty, shorted, or dry solder joints. Have you opened it up to check there's no swarf blown in, and the joints all look good? If your comfortable with a soldering iron, you could just touch up all the joints, this will not damage it any way unless you linger far too long in any spot. Maybe hold the boards up to a good strong backlight and flex them minutely from opposite edges to see if there's a crack anywhere.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

It is definitely repeatable, but I'm not sure it ever worked properly. It's hard to say, as I believe it was winter when we purchased it. I usually just turn it on in the morning when its cooler, then it will stay on all day. If all else fails, I'll unhook it and refrigerate it to get it started, then once started it works great. I'll tear into it tomorrow and reflow the solder. I was hoping someone had had a similar issue.