587,531 active members*
3,208 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

THC with HV/HF pilot arc??

I'm trying to automate a small Thermal Dynamics 35 amp plasma cutter with 12kV pilot arc starter. I've built a THC based on Tom Caudle’s design. I'm having problems with interference on the scaled voltage output during arc starting and pilot arc. I have diodes on the voltage divider input and low-pass filters on the output. I'm getting spikes that make my Fluke meter do strange things. As soon as the the arc transfers to the work, the high voltage starting circuit shuts off and my scaled output voltage stabilizes to normal level.

Any suggestions Tom?

Does the THC300 work on HV/HF machines?

Jon

Smile HF plasma cutter with THC300

Jon,
    I just buy THC300 from Jim Cullins. I will use it with HF plasma cutter same as you at 40 amp.(pilot arc) Jim advise me THC300 is suitable for HF plasma cutter. Pls talk with him.

Mongkol

I think I figured it out this morning. It would work fine when I pull the front panel off the plasma machine, but act up when I closed it all up. I had a few inches of wire going from my divider/filter board to a CPC connector on the front panel, and they were against some of the cables inside the machine when I put it together. I shortened the wires and relocated the board and it seems like it will be OK now.
    For all the time I've spent playing with this thing, I probably should have just bough a THC300, but what fun is that?

Smile HF plasma machine

Jon,
    Do you mean that you can control HF plasma machine at now? What software do you use? Mach3 or not?

Mongkol

Yes, I am using Mach 3 and a home-made THC that should work the same way as the Campbell THC300.

Smile THC with HF plasma machine

Hi Jon,
    If the circuit is worked and fine with HF plasma machine,Is it possible to share your circuit?

Mongkol

Look in Apendix B of the Mach user manual. I started with that schematic to understand how the basic THC system works with Mach. It seems strange to not be able to set the arc voltage until after you start cutting, but I guess that's how the THC300 works. I wanted to be able to pre-set the height before starting the cut, so I made some changes. My meter displays the preset voltage before I start cutting. When it gets an arc good signal from the plasma cutter it displays actual arc volts. I can adjust it anywhere from dragging the tip to well above recommended cutting height. I've only been using it for a couple days, but I'm extremely pleased with how well it works. The panel meter I stole from an old piece of equipment was bad, so I have it hooked up to my Fluke for now. The panel LEDs are up, down, and fault, the extra one hanging out the meter hole is an arc good indicator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP03093.jpg   DCP03097.jpg   DCP03096.jpg  

Hi Fiero Addiction - I too am studying the same THC diagrams etc. You mention the "arc good" signal from the plasma unit - I can't see any mention of it on the diags - any tips?

Thanks

stirling,

What I refer to as "arc good" is called "TORCH ON" on figure 12.2. I wired the "arc good" or "torch on" relay coil (K2) in parallel with an existing pilot relay inside my palsma machine. The machine's internal logic senses when the arc transfers to the plate, then the "arc good" relay (K2) closes to let Mach know there is a good arc. In this way, Mach can be told not to move until the arc is good. Otherwise you could have a false start, Mach would start moving, the THC would see open circuit voltage and the tip would dive into the sheet to try to reach target voltage. The diagrams do not show the wiring from the "torch on" relay to the parallel port. I ran mine through an optocoupler.

I use the THC300 post processor in sheetcam and it works wonderfully. I have all my inputs/outputs on a single parallel port, so the pin assignments are a bit different than a THC300 install, but after I got it all set up it works just the same.

Edit: Just wanted to add one more note, I have a "torch on" indicator and an "arc good" indicator. The "torch on" LED lights when the machine is triggered. The 'arc good" LED lights when the arc is good. This terminology just makes more sense to me than what is shown on the original diagrams. In reality it doesn't matter what you call them and you will rarely look at them anyway because you can clearly see and hear what's going on, but they will be good diagnostic indicators if something isn't working right.
    Jon

Thanks Jon - all makes sense now (famous last words). As far as Mach is concerned - do you use the "dedicated" plasma version? I notice that Mach mill has references to THC etc. Just wondered if it makes any odds. (I currently only use Mach for milling/routing).

Any tips on the "type" rather than the "make" of plasma unit I should be looking for or avoiding - I know this has been mentioned in other threads but I'm still not sure what's what. Everyone just seems to say Hypertherm - there must be others though - nice to have a choice.

I use the Plasma version of Mach, I think the only difference is the screen and the way buttons are displayed, functionally I believe they are the same. Using Mach3 Plasma there is a button on the main screen to turn THC on/off. I haven't used Mach mill or turn.

I'm not the right guy to ask about plasma cutters, hopefully someone else can answer your question. I think I will avoid the high frequency start for my next one, I don't have any problems with it interfering with the CNC, but it doesn't start a pilot arc reliably. I get a lot of condensed moisture in the air supply which may be part of the problem.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Fiero Addiction View Post
    Look in Apendix B of the Mach user manual. I started with that schematic to understand how the basic THC system works with Mach.
    Do you have a link to the Mach user manual. I searched but came up empty...

Thanks
    John

It looks like the THC schematic has been removed from the current manual. Click the "Using Mach2Mill" link from the page linked below, the THC schematic is in that one, section 12.2.

http://machsupport.com/documentation.php

Thanks for the link.

John

I upgraded to an Esab PCM-875 plasma cutter and began having problems again. All of my cables are shielded and I have everything properly grounded, an 8 ft ground rod 1 ft away from the table and another at the electical panel, all control grounds separate from the table grounds, ferrite chokes on all cables, etc.. I narrowed it down to noise coming into the drivers through the motor wires. I replaced the drivers with better ones and I haven't had a problem since. So yes, noise on the motor wires can cause problems. My PC was outputting pulses just fine, but the drivers would stop turning the motors when the plasma fired. In my case it was just cheap drivers and no amount of shielding would help.

Question HF plasma machine with mach3

Hi Fiero and Experter,
    I am little puzzled and have some questions.
    Assume if I have HF plasma machine, Is it possible to connect with Mach3 smoothly? and HF will impact and destroy my PC and electronic system ?

Remark: I don't use THC.

Mongkol

Hi

Iam new here, please can anybody tell my why my Mach3 (licenced) do not work with my THC300?
    I do not have problems with HF, THC300 run OK, on diagnostic screen I see UP and DOWN inputs are on an off OK when my machine is working but Z axis don not move UP and DOWN.
    Please excuse my english, i am from Argentina

Thanks.

Ruli

Do you have the THC button turned on and is the THC LED flashing? If you can't turn on the THC in MACH (make it go active) then check the MACH license (Help/About) and make sure it's not a "DEMO". If you have the THC active in MACH and you get Up and Down LED's then MACH should move your Z motor (assuming the Z moves under a g-code command or in Jog). If it still does not contact the vendor that sold you the THC300.

Thanks

Yes, I have THC button turned on and the THC LED is flashing.
    In help/About is my name ok.
    You think may be a problem of THC300 or of Mach3? Because all inputs are detected and displayed on theirs LEDs.

Thanks

All the THC does is send direction signals to MACH3. MACH controls the Z motion at all times. It just switches "who" it listens to. It the THC is active in MACH once you fire the torch MACH waits for an Arc OK signal. It holds XYZ motion until it senses an arc has been established. Once that signal is present MACH starts running the G code.

If you can move the Z up and down with a simple MDI command (i.e. G00Z1.00) then MACH has control of Z. It switches to listening to the UP and DOWN commands when the Torch fires and THC is on.

Page 1 of 2 12