587,997 active members*
1,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Thread mill in XR2

Thread mill in XR2

How do you setup a single point thread mill in the demo and program it? I can't seem to find the correct tool in the library, or how to add it in! I think I figured out the tool path, just do a helical move, but it would be nice if the cam would do all of the math!! I want to try internal, and external threads, straight and pipe (tapered).
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

There may be other ways, but I will describe the way it has been discussed in the OneCNC forum:

Draw a helix using the "Helix" function. You will want to have the "blend-in/out" checked. Set your pitch of course. For both tapered and non-tapered threads you will need add (outside thread) or substract (inside thread) the radius of the tool for the size thread you want. Perhaps the tool manufacturer of your single point threadmill has some data on the exact radius to use for each size thread.

One you have the helix chain you can then program a "Cut Chain - Variable Z" toolpath and the tool center will follow the helix chain.

Regarding the tapered threads. I programmed a threadmill operation for a 2 in NPT and added extra helix turns on both ends. This allowed the machinist to set his reference up or down by one or two threads until he got a good fit.

Sorry, no threadmill toolpath available in the package to date, but the steps above take no time at all.

Edit: Oh and one more thing. The tool you select for this operation doesn't matter other than for simulation and for calculating speeds and feeds, of which you will most likely override them (S&F's) anyway. I think there is a "tips and tricks" method to having the program simulate with a tool that looks like a threadmill, but currently the tool library does not contain or have the ability to create a threadmill.

Chris

For threadmilling go with the vardx software it’s free and easy to use will work with any single point tool only watch for the diameter of the tool. Will not do the npt taper with single point but it will generate g-code program for you.
    hxxp://www.shaviv.com/tm_down.asp?num=3&title=10

Martin