588,173 active members*
4,243 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ti6al4v castings

hello everyone, so my new project today is to eliminate making a part from solid stock (ti cp2) and to make them out of castings (ti6al4v) we just got the castings today and i started machining them but i noticed in the finish that it looks wavy, i have tried to change the feeds and speeds and no sucess, even tool nose radius. Is this caused from the way they made the castings? can we use a different process to make the castings? or maybe a special insert? any comments or questions are appreciated thanks:violin:

Quote Originally Posted by GetLathed View Post
    hello everyone, so my new project today is to eliminate making a part from solid stock (ti cp2) and to make them out of castings (ti6al4v) we just got the castings today and i started machining them but i noticed in the finish that it looks wavy, i have tried to change the feeds and speeds and no sucess, even tool nose radius. Is this caused from the way they made the castings? can we use a different process to make the castings? or maybe a special insert? any comments or questions are appreciated thanks:violin:

First off, are you milling or turning the workpiece in question? What are your present feeds and speeds? What insert(s) are you using presently, and what is the nose radius of said inserts? I do believe I may be able to help you out, but more info is needed.

Cheers.

K&Y Diamond Ltd. - Ph514) 333-5606, Fax514) 339-5493
    http://www.kydiamond.ca

this is on the lathe, sfm from 100-250, i have used .008 .0156 nose radius, kennametal CNGP (ground posi) inserts, fast and slow feeds from .001-.005 ipr. have you cut this type of casting? do you know the kind of finish im talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by GetLathed View Post
    this is on the lathe, sfm from 100-250, i have used .008 .0156 nose radius, kennametal CNGP (ground posi) inserts, fast and slow feeds from .001-.005 ipr. have you cut this type of casting? do you know the kind of finish im talking about?

We have had experience with this very material with a few clients in the aerospace industry already. I can give you some very basic specifications and it should give you a very good idea of where you should be. Bear in mind, these results were attained using PCD inserts, as opposed to carbide inserts. As far as the coolant option, you can substitute your own brand of coolant. This is just what had been chosen for this particular test.

Workpiece:........................Ti-6Al-4V
    Cutting Speed:...................120 m/min.
    Feed Rate:........................0.127 mm/rev.
    D.O.C.:..............................0.010"
    Tool:.................................SPG 422 (fine grain PCD insert) with an 11° relief/front clearance angle
    Tool Holder:........................CSSPR, 45° lead
    Lathe:...............................Okuma

I hope that this information can at least give you a good starting point with your project. If you need any more info or have any questions, please feel free to ask. I'd be happy to try and help.

K&Y Diamond Ltd. - Ph514) 333-5606, Fax514) 339-5493
    http://www.kydiamond.ca