587,998 active members*
1,829 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ticker tape to serial conversion.

(Nooooobeeeeee)
    Hi

We have inherited a couple of old Bridgeport Milling Machines with Bridgeport/Textron controllers.

We are hoping to convert these machines from ticker tape to serial port, as we have no tape writers nor any existing programs on tape.

We would also want to feed the mills with cutter paths generated from 3D cad, in the same way as we currently are opperating some Correa CF-22 machines.

My fear is that our expectations are a little high and what we are hoping for is not achievable.

Does anyone know if these are realistic plans or just plain 'pie in the sky'.

Thanks

Mike

You need a BTR 'behind the Tape reader' a search using BTR should get quite a few results for companies specializing in this. This converts to RS232 serial.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi Mike,

BP/Textron control?

Take a closer look at the control. It may already have a RS-232 port on it. If memory serves me right, it is located at the front bottom right of the control panel. It is a round AMP DIN port with about 7-9 pins. You might be able to do drip feed from that port.

Wayne

Rybett, Advanced Digital Research and Cimnet all make a BTR for this machine. Simple plug in. Rybett LPT runs from the parallel port under Windows 98 to DOS 3.1.
    The ADR has 128k standard local memory up to 2mb, serial port runs from DOS to XP.
    The Cimnet 32k standard local memory up to 1mb, serial port from DOS to XP.
    All three can dripfeed.
    William Timm 702-897-1385
    I sell all three of these BTRs. CIMNET/RYBETT $995.00, ADR $1485.00

Thanks Guys
    Quite a bit of info here....I'll do a bit of digging, Thanks

Cool btr ++

I have made some BTR's of my own... Don't spend that kind of money ...if my BTR will work and you have so basic elecrtonic skills...(ie) can solder a wire, locate local source for parts, read a basic schmeitac, .....I'll fix you up...my btr converts hex to octal (ie) pc..to...controller...or i'll build you one if you like cheap!! (if it works send me what you think it's worth to ya)...
    I converted 2 bostomatics made in 70's with it....still best suggestion...is to convert watch out for expensive solutions though....if I can help E-mail me..
    also if tape..you may need autoexecutive source tape for controll computer...(may be hard to locate) if your up and can orgin and jog your probally ok there...for time being....be carefull not to reset host computer...
    [email protected]