587,436 active members*
3,688 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tool Change

Tool Change

What is the code for a tool change. I am doing a pc board and after I do my trace lines I want the machine to come up and I add the drill bit and hit a key and have it goto drilling the holes. Any ideas on this?
    My little piece of the web!
    http://users.adelphia.net/~wjdupont

Typically Txx M6 will make an automatic tool change. But it sounds like you want to manually make a tool change and then "hit a key" to go again. If that's the case an M6 without any tool number should take the "Z" axis home and orient & stop the spindle. The line after the M6 should be M0 to halt the machine until "start" is pushed again.

Have no home switches yet?

Well I have no home switches yet! Can I just make the Z come up and use like m0 to stop the program, do my tool change and then start it again?

I am using Ace Converter to convert the gcode. There is a place where I can set Pre-Priority codes for each layer! So I was thinking I could just setup the code to make the z come up and stop the program and then start it again.

Would this work???

Why are you using ace converter?

Woodknack--

I don't see why that wouldn't work. The idea is to get the "Z" axis up enough for clearance and then stop and wait for you to do something. The M0 will cause the machine to stop regardless of where the machine is positioned. Then when you press start again, it should start running right where you left off.

Ace converter

CNCADMIN,

You ask why I am using Ace? What else should I use? THe layout for the board I have is in a DXF format! I got the DXF from a friend that somehow put it in cad. So I really dont have any other option do I??

I have been using turboCad and Ace Converter and the 2 have worked like a charm so far! Seems to be alot you can do with Ace Converter too! Im always learning something new.

ESTOP,
    Thanks for the help I'll try that out. So m0 just stops the program and waits for you to start it again? Is there any number after M0 that I should use?

Yes, a solitary M0 should be good for "program hold" for eternity

If you are thinking of a timed dwell, that would usually be a G04 plus a number in, perhaps, milliseconds of dwell. You would only use this for your purposes if you're playing "Russian tool change" with your cnc buddies.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

HuFlungDung,
    Too Funny!!! LOL I will keep that in mind next time I have someone over I don't like too much!!! HEHEHEHE.

I can see it now, HURRY, HURRY AAAAHHHHH TOO LATE!!!! LOL
    I guess I'll have to make that a longer millisecond next time!!! LOL

What software are you using to drive the machine? The new DeskCNC has gerber and exelon tool pathing and drilling built in so you don't evern need to convert it to a dxf in the first place, just get the track and apeture file *.pcb straight ouf of your pcb development software eg:Protel and go for it, the cam wizard in DeskCNC lets you put in the tool dia for contour offset, great stuff, it also has a background tool change function so if you command T1 M06 it reads a file called toolchange.cfg and executes the lines of code the user puts, every one above has said all of the right stuff, it is just that you ony need to put it once and then it is stored until you change it, you can even write in functions for doing an automatic tool change later on down the track. Wait and watch DeskCNC, big things happening there.

"A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Ace converter

Originally posted by WOODKNACK
    CNCADMIN,

You ask why I am using Ace? What else should I use? THe layout for the board I have is in a DXF format! I got the DXF from a friend that somehow put it in cad. So I really dont have any other option do I??

I have been using turboCad and Ace Converter and the 2 have worked like a charm so far! Seems to be alot you can do with Ace Converter too! Im always learning something new.

Try this if you have Auto cad or use Deskam
    http://cnczone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1168

Woodknack

M0, Should handle the program stop to allow you to physically change the tool, but remember ypu need to set the tool lenght offset also for the new tool and also call that tool # after the change. like this Tx. or set tool to z zero after the change and no tool number is required

Ray
    Learn from the mistakes of others you can't afford to make them all yourself!