587,372 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Tool Stepover help

Question Tool Stepover help

Im having some problems with a 4 axis part Im doing in mcam9. Im using a 1/8 ball mill on 4 axis - solids. No matter what stepover I use I still get a U shape cuts when I verify(i.e. a 1/8 stepover on a 1/8 mill). Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks Brad
    ~Moto21

If I'm understanding you right, you're gonna get U-shaped cuts. You're stepping over an 1/8" with a 1/8" ball mill. To control the finish and get rid of the "U", change your step over to something really small. Instead of 1/8", try like .002-.003 and look. From there, you just tighten that up to obtain a good finish. Keep in mind too, MC verify is not the most detailed depiction, but it can keep you out of trouble.

Are these 3D cuts? I'm not sure what your part looks like.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

In ROUGHING PARAMETERS, look for MAX STEPOVER and click the button. It will bring up a dialog that will calculate the cusp height (The U shape you're seeing) given the stepover size and tool's diameter.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the help. It ended up being the max step was to large. Thanks for the help. I dont do much with ball mills and 4 axis and it was driving me nuts.
    Thanks again
    ~Brad
    ~Moto21