Here is a message that shows how bad customer service at TORMACH is.

For the record, Mike Jestis is a small business owner and a competent machinist, he purchased a TORMACH CNC Mill, with accessories and is working in steel. He purchased the tapping head from TORMACH and used the appropriate feeds and speeds supplied in the technical instructions in the literature they supplied. I checked these numbers out with the data published in the 'MACHINNING DATA HANDBOOK' 3rd EDition published by METCUT RESARCH ASSOCIATE in cooperation with the US Government. It is a standard reference data manual which is used in numerous job shops through out the USA.

My personal credentials include 30 years as a journeyman machinist, degreed Mechanical ENGINEER and was the GENERAL MANAGER of a quality aerospace job shop working in HI-RELIABILITY work. I wrote the 4 part article in the DIGITAL MACHINIST Magazine on converting the F1 Mill to modern controls using GECKO DRIVES, SOUND LOGIC CONTROLLER and MACH3.

When mike programmed the machine using the manuals supplied, and used the TORMACH special M871 Self-Reversing Tapping cycle contained in the TORMACH PCNC 1100 manual, (I have personally reviewed the code), the original Tapping head failed, tearing off the anti rotation arm on the tapping head. When he reported this he was sent a replacement head, and tried again.

Mike even went the extra step and submitted his PROGRAM to TORMACH for review and they suggested improvement that he implemented. attached is the code submitted and the changes recommended by TORMACH applications engineering.

Here is the code as written "per their tech document"

n9904100 Y-0.125
n9904101 G04 P5
n9904102 G01 Z-0.600 F17
n9904104 G01 Z-0.7 F99999
N9904105 Z0.150 F29

And here is what they had me change it to (which is the second example from their tech document)

n9904100 Y-0.125
n9904101 G04 P5
n9904102 G01 Z-0.600 F17
n9904104 G04 P2
N9904105 G01 Z0.250 F29

When a new tapping head was replaced in tapping 3 each 3/8-16NC holes it broke 3 taps in three holes. The material is 4130 plate, annealed and BLANCHARD GROUND. The plan was to tap 167 holes and at this rate the cost would be astronomical. The taps were flooded with coolant and running at a conservative feed and speed. S=266 rpm F=0.0625 inches per revolution using g95 modal command.

I suggested using these feeds and Speeds in case the annealling was bad and this is the feeds and speeds for steel with a birnell hardness over 375 BHN.

This is the response he received from TORMACH is a poor indication of service to the customer. Since the original author, BARB STAFFORD thinks that the customer should "GO AWAY" and not report problems with their machine SHE SHOULD GO IF THEY ARE A GOOD BUSINESS.

This indicates a very serious problem with TORMACH SERVICE. It also shows the BS Mentality of this person to leave a smoking gun laying around. She should be FIRED as an incompetent idiot.

---- Original Message -----
To: Ann Moen ; [email protected]
Cc: Bob Miller
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 11:09 AM
Subject: RE: Tormach Warranty Limit Switch Quotation

Delete after reading! Is this guy ever going t go away? I think he does this to annoy us! I mean come on how in the world can he not know that he needed all of this stuff in the beginning? Geez he orders daily it seems. Not to mention the cash he is wasting on shipping charges! OMG

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 12:43 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Barb Stafford; Bob Miller
Subject: Tormach Warranty Limit Switch Quotation

Hello Michael,

I have attached above a quotation for 2 warranty Limit Switches. I have as shipping the UPS NEXT DAY AIR service. The price listed is the difference between Ground and Next Day Air.

If you would like me to add anything else, just let me know. I will watch for your payment and get these switched out the door as soon as payment is received.

http://www.tormach.com/Product_DirectPayment.html

Thank you,

Ann Moen

Account Manager

Tormach LLC

204 Moravian Valley Rd.

Suite N

Waunakee, Wi 53597

608-849-8381 ext 19