587,998 active members*
1,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tormach News

Page 16 of 18 61415161718

Re: Tormach News

As long as we are speculating...

How about an encoder that can be added to the spindle on the PCNC 1100/770 to allow for rigid tapping? That is possible with the PathPilot on (as demonstrated by Turbostep in the thread below for the PCNC1100) and by the SPL15 lathe.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...rum-posts.html
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

that is a very good idea
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    EDIT: ahh, I looked back at the previous posts, and kind of understand. You are saying they still have some big things under wraps, the only "speculation" part of it is when they finally come out with public announcements.
    Too cool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf6rt4Xjw5E

Ahhhhh
    Step

That is quite a bulky encoder just to allow rigid tapping on a PCNC!

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    That is quite a bulky encoder just to allow rigid tapping on a PCNC!
    Well I can't argue on that one So what do you think it could be???
    Step

Maker people seem to be really into 3D printing of plastics but that is a rather crowded market at all price levels. Perhaps a 3D printer producing parts in sintered metal?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Well I can't argue on that one So what do you think it could be???
    Step
    It's a PCNC 2016 with X-20", Y-16", Z-20" combined with a Slant Pro lathe controller on the left side that works as a lathe and 4th axis. Modular/turret tool holder for the lathe that quick attaches to the head of the mill.

Hey, I can dream can't I..... Oh, and all of this for a base price of $20K..... I'd buy one.... then be shot by my wife who would then post it on here for $10K.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Does the number "440" mean anything to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Does the number "440" mean anything to anyone?
    440 volt power....... Cannot see how there would be many folks at Maker Fair that would find that useful....
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    440 volt power....... Cannot see how there would be many folks at Maker Fair that would find that useful....
    Hehe Or, something made of solid 440 stainless?

There is a post on NYCCNC's second-most-recent video by a person named "Kevo F". He/she says there was a blank "PCNC 440" tab on the Tormach website (they didn't say when they saw it). The numbers "440" are also visible during a few frames of the video. So, with that, I'd guess it's a lil' CNC mill. Something the maker crowd could surely make good use of.

Ahhhhh
    Step
    Turbostep: time to spill the beans. At least a hint... How long have you known?

Looks like some sort of bench top machine (unless the stand is in a separate crate).

I think Hiridun nailed it: a smaller bench top mill with a high speed spindle designed for jewelry and precision small parts. The PCNC 440. Maybe with the same high speed spindle that is now sold as an option for the 1100?

EDIT: Tormach is not very good at keeping a secret:
    Tormach FAQs Questions | Tormach Inc. providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

Quote Originally Posted by TORMACH
    What are the dimensions/footprint of the PCNC 440? The PCNC 440 has a footprint of 40” x 32” x 42” (X x Y x Z) – this is not including the stand (full enclosure does not change the footprint).

What materials can the PCNC 440 cut? It can cut aluminum, steel, titanium, as well as plastics, composites, wood, and PCB boards. Anything our other mills can cut.

What control system is used to run the PCNC 440? It is controlled by PathPilot, Tormach’s control system that is used on every PCNC mill, which easily interfaces with most popular CAD/CAM systems. Although PathPilot does include onboard conversational programming that can create CNC programs at the machine without the need for a CAD/CAM system.
    And some more info:
    Tormach FAQs Questions | Tormach Inc. providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.
    Tim

Tormach website cache from Google "a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Sep 16, 2015":
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...trip=0&vwsrc=1

Includes the following line in the "PCNC Mills & Accessories" dropdown list:
    <li><a href="http://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&amp;ns=catshow&amp;ref=PCNC440" title="PCNC 440">PCNC 440</a></li>

That seems like an official endorsement of the current theory (micro cnc mill).

--Bryan

Damn, you guys are good!

Oh guys......so the big case is not holding a PCNC 1440 ?

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Turbostep: time to spill the beans. At least a hint... How long have you known?
    You may have noticed that I was doing my best to keep up the interest without spilling the beans! As you added later, Tormach is not very good at keeping a secret. I found a reference to the 440 probably back in April. It was clearly going to be a mill of some kind, and based on the number I was obviously expecting it to be smaller than the 770. However, I'm sorry to disappoint, I don't have any additional details. I nevertheless found it quite amusing to read all the other posts in this thread
    Well, that's one down, but still one to go!
    Step

And here comes Skyfire's competition. Maybe. I have to wonder if it will have linear bearing ways. Dovetails do not make much sense on such a small mill. Look at the problems with other similar sized mills. This will be interesting.
    Lee

since a lot of tormach user cut aluminum a aluminum high speed router what would be a good idea
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    And here comes Skyfire's competition. Maybe. I have to wonder if it will have linear bearing ways. Dovetails do not make much sense on such a small mill. Look at the problems with other similar sized mills. This will be interesting.
    Maybe turn on side!
    Horizontal mill with tombstone would be a decent design at this size serving the jewelry industry

I was thinking edm would be a logical machine design addition to the Tormach line. Maybe it will be future coming soon.

Too bad it's not another lathe option. The spread between the Slant Pro and the (now defunct) Duality is about equivalent to the walk from here in MI to the land of KEEN! I must laugh at the carry over of the 330 absolute value though. I have the 1100 and the 770 and I use them both a ton! I sadly have no plans to add a 440 here.

Well, that's one down, but still one to go!
    ????????!!!

There you go again. Another one to come?
    Tim

Page 16 of 18 61415161718