588,616 active members*
4,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Do you think Tormach hand scrapes their ways?
    Err.. Yes. They've claimed that from day 1. You could argue that they are lying, but to answer your question: Yes, I do think Tormach hand scrapes their ways.

yep ray spent over 12k and then had to replace a bunch of parts right from the getgo to get it working. dumped mach 3 for kflop because
    he always complains that mach 3 is garbage. had to rework the coolant because that wasn't good enough. not what i'd call perfect but i'm not a partner with novakon trying to boost sales by glossing things over.

Eh, i'd still like to see spotting, Hand scraped doesn't mean scraped by someone who knows what they're doing-- though it is interesting. I've yet to see a cnc machine offered without "Precision Ground" this or that, but "Precision" is as relative a term as it gets.

*EDIT* Sheesh, I wonder how I missed that- I stand largely corrected. Coated with a turcite equivalent and "scraped by a Master Machine Builder", which I can only assume means they're done in-house.

Color me impressed-- Still want spotting though

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Eh, i'd still like to see spotting, Hand scraped doesn't mean scraped by someone who knows what they're doing-- though it is interesting. I've yet to see a cnc machine offered without "Precision Ground" this or that, but "Precision" is as relative a term as it gets.
    are you calling tormach liars? why not contact tormach personally to arrange a meeting with an actual owner instead of dismissing what people tell you on this forum. they offer this option, does novakon?

sansbury

To be fair, they say they do, for whatever it's worth:

Each PCNC 770 features hand-scraped cast iron hydrodynamic sliding dovetailed ways – still the best technology available for withstanding high loads and dampening machining vibrations.

To be fair, virtually all manufacturers ( of reasonable quality mills), scrape their ways, unless they are precision ground. Tormach, Novakon etc. it makes no difference.

I think there may have been a reference to the fact that in our series 1 rebuild, we spent considerable time hand honing the gibbs. This was over and above the fact that the ways are factory hand scraped. I believe that the additional attention to the gibbs, provided a significant boost in accuracy.

yep ray spent over 12k and then had to replace a bunch of parts right from the getgo to get it working. dumped mach 3 for kflop because
    he always complains that mach 3 is garbage. had to rework the coolant because that wasn't good enough. not what i'd call perfect but i'm not a partner with novakon trying to boost sales by glossing things over.

Well now!

Lets take each statement separately.

had to replace a bunch of parts right from the getgo to get it working

I would dispute the statement that he "HAD" to replace.......
    Having read his posts he favours kflop over Mach 3. I fail to see how this "HAD" to been done but rather he believes it to be an improvement. Probably the same would apply to Tormach or any other mill.

had to rework the coolant because that wasn't good enough.

While I do not own a Tormach, I believe both companies coolant systems are quite similar.
    Ray's changes were what he considered an improvement, not a necessity in order to have his mill function.

Perhaps we would be best served by sticking to facts.

John

Page 2 of 2 12