587,997 active members*
1,942 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach vs X3 CNC

first, i'll apologize if this is redundant, theres so much info here it probably is. I am looking for a cost and performance analysis of the tormach 1100 vs an equally equipped DIY X3 CNC machine.

1. The tormach costs $6800 right off the bat, how much $ (and time) will you spend to get an X3 mill up to comparable CNC specs?

2. What are the key components and steps you have to purchase to get the X3 from manual to CNC, what would you recommend? if not outlined in detail, where/who can i contact for this info?

3. Am I comparing apples to oranges here? is the tormach a superior machine, no matter what components i get for the X3?

4. Anyone in the NY/NJ/PA area with a CNC setup - i am looking for guidance and will make it worth your time!

I will be working with smaller 2x2x6" rectangle and 2-3" round 6061 aluminum and possibly steel if the machine can handle it. Hobby, at most a few hours per day.

thanks!

Question You can buy one CNC ready , why not purchase a turnkey X3?

How is it possible for a three hundred seventy pound bench top to compete with a 1100 hundred pound monster?

Sounds like a loaded question, this might start sparks flying.

You can buy one CNC ready , why not purchase a turnkey X3?

http://www.home-machine-shop.com/X3_..._X3_Manual.pdf

I don't know if I would challenge a Tank with a Mini Copper, however where would you like me to send the consulting invoices ?

Jeff...

Lightbulb

There is no questioning the Tormach's superiority, the weight and rigidity alone dwarf the X3

P.S. you might fly out to Tormach and get a demo.

A Syil demo might also be a good idea since you are talking about spending between four and seven thousand dollars.

Investing a day and a plane ticket is not that much money.

Both of them should be willing to run your gcode

Jeff...

i guess thats what i am trying to figure out - if the tormach is truely superior and i am going to spend almost 4-5k for the X3 when its all said and done, then whats another 18-2800 bucks for the better machine.

funny, someone has told me that (to go out for the demo) before!

thanks

SX3 discontinued, SX4 price?

i saw on syil americas website http://www.syilamerica.com that they have discontinued the sx3 and are rolling out the x4 and x4 plus asap - however neither are listed in their "online store".

1. What would i expect to pay for an SX3 if i could find one?

2. Any idea what the price tag on the X4 is?

Cool

Syil Canada is quoting $5,495.00 for the X4

http://tinyurl.com/4mktnx

Syil USA 1 888 594 1097 is only a toll free call away ...

Do you have a name by the way?

Jeff...

my friends call me Duke.

thanks for your input, appreciated - i think i will call syil tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by daclearwater View Post
    i guess thats what i am trying to figure out - if the tormach is truely superior and i am going to spend almost 4-5k for the X3 when its all said and done, then whats another 18-2800 bucks for the better machine.

funny, someone has told me that (to go out for the demo) before!

thanks
    If it is in your budget, I concur the Tormach is the only way to go. The cost is incremental over an X3 and the performance increase is very measurable indeed.

I can't speak for the X4, but it looks like it is at least worth looking into. It has a lot going for it, more so than the X3 certainly, but whether it compares favorably to the Tormach in a cost/benefit analysis still remains to be seen. My feeling is the choice would likely still be the same, the Tormach, but as no X4's have appeared yet to really get a feel for it is just speculation and so may well be worth the effort to research.