587,112 active members*
3,616 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Toronto machinist?

I'm looking for a hobby machinist in the Toronto, Ontario area, to do a one-off job that is too small for commercial shops to be bothered with.

My hobby isn't machining, it's far worse .... I own a 1947 Stinson 108-2 aircraft, for which I need some machining done on an aluminum fuel valve selector handle. I haven't spent much time in a machine shop since high school, which was SOME time ago, so I know what needs to be done and generally how to do it, but I'm just a little out of practice, as well as shy on the machine tools.

Two things need to be done on the selector valve handle, and they needn't be done by the same person:

First, I need to have the long end of the fuel valve selector handle shortened by 0.1" to ensure it will rotate past the throttle, and the pointer index on the other side of the hub milled off to form a flat surface. It's a simple job on an end mill; my problem is getting access to one.

Second, and this is the tougher part, I need text engraved/milled into the handle, deep enough to allow paint fill of the text with a contrasting color after the primer and base color paint is applied. Because of the handle's hub, most engravers won't touch this, even though the areas to be engraved ARE flat.

Is there someone in the Toronto area who can assist me with this?

Thank you,

Eric Schlieper
    CF-SJQ

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schlieper View Post
    I'm looking for a hobby machinist in the Toronto, Ontario area, to do a one-off job that is too small for commercial shops to be bothered with.

My hobby isn't machining, it's far worse .... I own a 1947 Stinson 108-2 aircraft, for which I need some machining done on an aluminum fuel valve selector handle. I haven't spent much time in a machine shop since high school, which was SOME time ago, so I know what needs to be done and generally how to do it, but I'm just a little out of practice, as well as shy on the machine tools.

Two things need to be done on the selector valve handle, and they needn't be done by the same person:

First, I need to have the long end of the fuel valve selector handle shortened by 0.1" to ensure it will rotate past the throttle, and the pointer index on the other side of the hub milled off to form a flat surface. It's a simple job on an end mill; my problem is getting access to one.

Second, and this is the tougher part, I need text engraved/milled into the handle, deep enough to allow paint fill of the text with a contrasting color after the primer and base color paint is applied. Because of the handle's hub, most engravers won't touch this, even though the areas to be engraved ARE flat.

Is there someone in the Toronto area who can assist me with this?

Thank you,

Eric Schlieper
    CF-SJQ

give us a call eric

416 301 8820
    and visit jamfixer.com