588,126 active members*
5,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tracing Logo's in CAD

I want to take my company's logo and manually re-create it in a CAD program (it's mostly straight lines - so shouldn't be too difficult). I've done this type of work before in Pagemaker when I've needed to vectorize jpg's.

Is there a common way to do this? Is there a way I can import the JPG logo in order to "trace" it?

Thanks!

What CAD package are you using?

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

None yet (well, have been working on Alibre Express and am considering purchasing BobCAD)...
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    None yet (well, have been working on Alibre Express and am considering purchasing BobCAD)...
    Use CorelDRAW. Export with the DXFTool and cut with SheetCAM.

-James
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Rhino will take bitmap images that can be traced over.

I don't own CorelDraw (nor do I want to pay for more software right now, unless necessary). I do own Illustrator and was able to draw something and export as a DXF into Sheetcam with no problems.

However, I'll normally want to include this file within a part - so once you export the DXF from Illustrator or Corel, can you then import it into a CAD software and resize it as needed?

"I've done this type of work before in Pagemaker when I've needed to vectorize jpg's. "

If pagemaker can export DXF you should be god. Just import in your CAM

Bent

Inkscape is free and can export to DXF

I don't own CorelDraw (nor do I want to pay for more software right now, unless necessary). I do own Illustrator and was able to draw something and export as a DXF into Sheetcam with no problems.

However, I'll normally want to include this file within a part - so once you export the DXF from Illustrator or Corel, can you then import it into a CAD software and resize it as needed?
    This is one way if you have a trace package or similar to Core OCR-Trace.
    http://www.torchmate.com/assistance/convert.htm
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hey guys. I use a program called pattern wizzard. Its a staind glass pattern software. I find it way easyer to trace any thing with than any of the other software ive used. then I export the pattern to wintopo to vectorize it to dfx. pattern wizard is free for 40 hrs of using time. It only takes a few minutes to create a design so the 40 hrs last for a long time, then its like $60.00 I think to buy. try it and tell me what you think. www.sgdesigns.com .
    Graham

.308, you know I'm hustling.....but :banana: if you will send me, or post a jpg, of the logo and the size you want it, I will trace it in Rhino, and keep track of how long it took me. The new version 4 has a command called pictureframe that allows this to be done pretty quickly.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by CountZero View Post
    Inkscape is free and can export to DXF
    inkscape works great for this type of stuff

I do own Illustrator and was able to draw something and export as a DXF into Sheetcam with no problems.

However, I'll normally want to include this file within a part - so once you export the DXF from Illustrator or Corel,
    can you then import it into a CAD software and resize it as needed?
    If you already have Illustrator, it has a very capable tracing feature. At least the version I have does.

You can also scale the resultant vectors to any size you want. All within Illustrator. Then export as a DXF.

Greg

I have done this alot with AutoCad. You can import a scanned immage with it. trace arround it and then iges it out to a machining software like MasterCam, Bobcad, or what ever you have and it will work great. You will need to scale it to make it right in AutoCad but that is easy there. If you want send me a jpg and I will quote it for you.

Turmite - better yet, how about I try it first on my rhino demo. Pictureframe is the command you say? Would I first import the image in order to view it for tracing?

Hey tikka, yes pictureframe. If you want to call me around noon central time, I can talk you through it.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.