587,453 active members*
7,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Transfer rate, Cimco to Mazak?

Hello

I would like to know how fast you can transfer programs to the controller?
    Today we transfer through Cimco Edit v5 at 4800 "bits per second".
    The machine is a Mazak VTC20B with Mazatrol M Plus.

Is it possible to increase the speed?

Kotten 1
    Sweden

Yes. You can transfer at 19200 on a M+ board but you have to watch your cable length. If your RS cable is real long it degrades the signal and you'll start dropping code or otherwise. In that case, you'll need to slow down the transfer rate. Then you just need to change parameter G1 and the Cimco to match the I/O you're using.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

I've allready tried to increase the speed to 9600, but that didnt work.
    I got a error message on the Mazak...
    Our cable is about 10m (33feet).
    Dont you need to adjust some settings in M+ and Cimco? Besides the speed?

Your cable length shouldn't be any problem. If you're already transfering at 4800 freely then your settings should be correct. The only you should need to do is up the baudrate setting if you're changing the speed. Check the Cimco setting again and on the Mazak, make sure you're changing the setting under the right I/O that you're using (TAPE, CMT, ....whatever) and that you're using the right value for 9600. I don't recall any "wait" or delay parameters that might hang you....

Question

I have fixed the problem now, you had to restart the Mazak when you changed the transfer rate...

However, we still experience the same problem we had before.
    When we run programs that contains many curved surfaces the machine stops several times.
    I have a picture wich I made in to a NC program using Mastercam Art (many curved surfaces), when I first ran the program in the Mazak at 4800 bitrate it stoped alot. It should have finished in 2 hours but it took 6 hours!
    So we tested again at 9600 bitrate with the same program, but it still stops alot.
    Does anyone have experienced the same problem, with programs that interrupts. We thought it was the transfer rate that was to low but maybe it isn't.

A few things are at play here.... and now that I see you're actually drip feeding....

Baud rate is part of it. A faster rate will help but if your feeds are high or your programming increments are tight, the machine will stop in order to "catch up". And it could be a combination of both. A few things to consider would be to loosen up your curve tolerance some, slow down feed some, use look ahead with a more controlled feed (G61.1), etc. You could also change your program output to Nurbs output (if your part shape can be done that way) but you'll need a CAD system that can output Nurbs. Another possiblility is to not filter arcs (or filter them depending on the CAD) and allow any arcs in XYZ to be coded (instead of point to point for the whole program).

Do you have any list for G-codes?
    What does G61.1 means?

Yes, somewhere... I'd have to dig it up. But they're not much different than FANUC and such.

G61.1 is what's called "2D Shape Comp" or in other words, its a type of program "Look ahead". Similar to FANUC G8 with some enhanced position control and operating parameters if you've ever used that. On the second for M+ controls though, it might not help your situation anyway using DNC. I'm not even sure if its a valid code in while in DNC through the RS-232.

I think your program approach is going to be the only real way to keep the machine from "waiting". You can have your control memory boosted though (if you haven't already). As I recall, I think there's two options for memory.