587,999 active members*
1,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > tree journeyman 310 shuts down on spindle start
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Unhappy tree journeyman 310 shuts down on spindle start

Hi, I am new to this forum but have gotten tons of good ideas from reading you guys over the last 6 months. Thanks. Here is my problem, I just boght a tree journeyman 310 mill with a dynapath delta 20 control. I ran the machine before I bought it in jog mode and all seemed fine. I ran the spindle speed up and down and ran all axes. again all fine. I then loaded it on a trailer and brought it home. After much coaxing i got it into the garage. I ran the power and turned it on. Again all fine. I referenced the axes. Jogged the axes, fine. Now for the problem. As soon as I start the spindle the whole machine including the control shuts down. I am running everything off a 10hp rotary converter. I thought that maybe it was pulling too much voltage when the motor started up so I ran a seperate 220v supply to the control box for power. Tried running the machine again, same problem. It seems that it is tripping something in the control box and shutting everything down. I am sure i am just missing something. It is a variable speed spindle but that is not controlled by the computer it is manual. If I turn the spindle speed down it takes a bit longer before it shuts everything down, but only 10-15 seconds. I have been messing with everything for 2 days now and am at my witts end. Any help would be much appreciated. The machine is set up 230v 3 phase. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone give me some idea what is going on. Please Im in a bad way with this one.

update I have checked the voltage phase to phase and phase to ground and here are my findings-
    L1-L2 238v
    L2-L3 260v
    L3-L1 272v

L1-G 118v
    L2-G 120v
    L3-G 238v

L3 is the wild leg and is not used to power the control.
    Hope this info helps.

Those voltages are waaaaaay to high for that machine. The spindle start stop is just a contactor on a 310. I would remove the out put lines off the contactor and try it again. If it still does it, probably a bad coil, drawing down the low voltage side.

sorry to sound so retarded but I have two contactors that switch on one for cw and two for ccw. if you can give me a little better idea what you are getting at I will go out to the garage and give it a try. When you say the voltages are too high, What should they be? I am running a bridgeport and a clausing lathe off this same rotary converter without any problems. If I unhook the motor from the contactor and turn on switch, the contactor activates and it doesnt shut down until I turn off the motor switch, then it trips something and everything shuts down and restarts.

230 is nominal. Open the doors and pull the plunger out on the door switch. I'm betting the contactor switching is jolting the door switch causing a shut down. Was very common for the switch mount to come loos in shipping

I have already tried that for both doors. Same result. I have checked all connections and found nothing loose even in the crt housing. I have checked the voltages on the power supply both comming in and going out and they are right. Same for the voltage pins in the crt housing. I have reseated all the control boards and checked all grounds. the wierd thing is everything checks out ok. How do I check the coil you mentioned earlier, and where is it located. Would this have just gone out? it worked fine when I bought it and now its home im having issues. I dont think they pulled a fast one on me, I just think I'm missing something. Is there a setting on the controll I am forgetting to turn on? Is there a spindle rpm limit switch I need to reset? Is it a bad contactor that just gives up after a bit? Thanks by the way, I appreciate it very much.

No feedback from the spindle at all. Let's clarify shutting down first. Control goes dead, fans still running, drives dead, main breaker kicks out etc...

As far as I can tell everything shuts off. First I hear the contactors switch off killing the spindle motor and the screen goes black and when it comes back on it has initiated its start up routine. I am going to the garage now to check fans and drives. Back in a flash with a report

Ok, It does not appear as if the fans or the drives shut down although the leds did flicker upon shutdown. If they did kick off it was instantaneously back on. My breaker on the side of the machine does not trip and my phase converter goes on "unphased" ha ha. Any ideas?

No real need. If its comming back up on its own, something is drawing the control voltage down. Push one of the contactors in with something insulated, like a sturdy plastic rod, etc. with the control powered up. See if the control drops out doing this. Be careful, live voltage present (cya ya know). Post back.

Yea, it shut down again. I had the motor switch on so the spindle would run. Should I give it a try with the motor switch off?

Same with switch on or off. motor still turns regardless of switch position and control still dies. It is also doing something else. Now on startup I hit mode select, then jog, then fast, then reference, then fault codes, then reset. As soon as I hit reset it will shut down and restart. It is tripping the allen bradly switch in the control box. It should clear the fault codes so I can reference the axes not restart. It is doing this about 50-60% of the time.

should I check voltage between the phases on startup or from phase to ground?

I know very little about phase converters btw. I just used to install/train/repair trees when they were new. With your last post, I'd say your phase converter is dropping a leg though.

You can, but I'm betting it will. You really need to monitor power now and try it. I think your dropping a leg on the phase converter, or it's just sucking it down too low.

When you hit reset is when the drives should be powering up. Think you need to get your incoming power situated a little better 220 is really ideal. L1 and L 2 should also be balanced within 5 volts or so. Those should be the 2 that power the control and the drives, if I remember correctly, since I no longer have prints. 3rd leg should just power the spindle.

Ok here is what I found. Wild leg L3 is all over the place going from 239 to 150 on start of motor. L1 L2 are ballanced both at 118 119 respectively. They show almost no voltage drop when spindle contactor is pressed and motor spins. It still kicks the power to the controll though. Even wierder than that earlier today I tried hooking the 220v line going into the control box to a dedicated 220v 1 phase breaker in my garage panel and got the same results. I have also tried wiring the power supply on its own 120v supply and same thing. Would this be a ground issue as it is still happening with independant power supplys from the motor and the only thing that they have in common would be the common ground?

Ok I guess my next question is how do I go about wiring just the motor and cw/ccw switch to the 3 phase as the motor will run fine this way and wire everything else off of single phase thus eliminating the phase converter from the control. It seems as though this may be my only option at this point. Not quite sure how to go about regulating the voltage anymore than it is already. I think that if I am able to eliminate the contactors and voltage drop this would fix the issue. Not sure why the reset keeps shutting everything down though. Doing it with even more frequency now. Just going to leave it until tomorrow. I need to clear my head and I am hoping that a good night sleep will help. Hope to hear from you tomorrow. Thanks again I appreciate it more than you know.

Sorry I have been gone all day today so no updates today. I will try and get some me time in garage tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12