588,657 active members*
5,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234

DT-1

As soon as I know the release date I will post it here first. I am really pushing to get this release, but I still want to do some more testing on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Excelmachine View Post
    Thanks for posting the info on the new DT-1. I will have to say it's a good thing I saw this as we were discussing the possible purchase of a Fanuc Robodrill and this seems to be very comparable. I personally like the Robodrill after having used one for over a year at a previous employer but being as we currently have a VF-3, the bosses like the idea of keeping the came controllers on the shop floor. Looking forward to getting more info.

Talking SS/ST-30 Released in the US

Okay, for those of you that have asked it has finally been released. For details please click on the link.

http://www.haascnc.com/LATHE_MODEL_S...LatheTreeModel

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    Okay, Okay, I know it has been a loooong time, but expect to get all these questions answered very soon. The hold up has been me. I have not been entirely satisfied with the machine until recently. This machine has been tested again and again and again. My boss has refused to release the machine until I am happy with it. It has been a long time coming and I think you will like what you see.

I really hate to burst your bubble, but no Y-axis right now.

I expect that we will start finalizing price, availiblity, etc. within the next two weeks. Don't hold me to this. It is really just a guess.

Haas Apps,

May I ask the purpose of the SS-30 and ST-30? Are these machines going to replace the SL-30 platform or just a higher performance version in the 3" bar range? I was hoping that the SL-30 platform would be revamped instead of a new and shorter model. I always found the Sl-30 turret to be too small especially for oilfield work. Running devibe bars pose a ton of problems due to the turret size. Over a year and a half ago I heard stories that a new machine was coming out so I waited and waited until I had no choice but to order machines. I bought a Mori NL-3000Y/1250 and a NL-2500SY/700 instead of a SL-30L BB , SL-30, and 2 VF-3/40's to complement my 3 existing Haas machines. Those 3 Haas machines have made a lot of parts and made a lot of money with very little on the maintenance end. The control is a standout feature. Easy transition from machine to machine and year model to year model. While MAPPS 3 is much more advanced than the Haas control, I still find some features easier to use on the Haas than the Mori.

My biggest complaint regarding Haas and specifically the SL lathe line up is it seems to be a compromise between price and performace rather than building an "American" lathe to compete against the Mori NL's or Doosan or even Mazak. I still think the perfect Mazak belongs on the end of an anchor chain, but that is another story.

I am not saying that I will not buy another SL-30 or even a SS/ST-30(haven't seen one in person yet) but in my opinion the SL series could be improved greatly. I realize there are other factors that must be accounted for but "I" would build a "no compromise" machine rather than a good machine. And again, my opinion, a live tooling machine is useless without Y axis. Interpolating will only get you so far. What happened to the SL-30Y that was at Westec in 2006?

Some Answers

Well, as you may know I am the Applications Manager and may not be able to answer all of your questions, but I will make an attempt.

The SS/ST line is a completely new model. It was designed from the ground up to be a robust machine. We have spent the better part of the last four years working on these machines and are very confident in their performance. I have had my staff testing these machine for about three years now and we are happy with the results. The turret on the SS/ST is much larger than the SL series and can accommodate up to 24 tools (yes 24). That should give you an indication of the turret size.

As you can probably guess I can not really discuss some of the things we have in development. But as many know Haas continues development of all our models all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLOG View Post
    Haas Apps,

May I ask the purpose of the SS-30 and ST-30? Are these machines going to replace the SL-30 platform or just a higher performance version in the 3" bar range? I was hoping that the SL-30 platform would be revamped instead of a new and shorter model. I always found the Sl-30 turret to be too small especially for oilfield work. Running devibe bars pose a ton of problems due to the turret size. Over a year and a half ago I heard stories that a new machine was coming out so I waited and waited until I had no choice but to order machines. I bought a Mori NL-3000Y/1250 and a NL-2500SY/700 instead of a SL-30L BB , SL-30, and 2 VF-3/40's to complement my 3 existing Haas machines. Those 3 Haas machines have made a lot of parts and made a lot of money with very little on the maintenance end. The control is a standout feature. Easy transition from machine to machine and year model to year model. While MAPPS 3 is much more advanced than the Haas control, I still find some features easier to use on the Haas than the Mori.

My biggest complaint regarding Haas and specifically the SL lathe line up is it seems to be a compromise between price and performace rather than building an "American" lathe to compete against the Mori NL's or Doosan or even Mazak. I still think the perfect Mazak belongs on the end of an anchor chain, but that is another story.

I am not saying that I will not buy another SL-30 or even a SS/ST-30(haven't seen one in person yet) but in my opinion the SL series could be improved greatly. I realize there are other factors that must be accounted for but "I" would build a "no compromise" machine rather than a good machine. And again, my opinion, a live tooling machine is useless without Y axis. Interpolating will only get you so far. What happened to the SL-30Y that was at Westec in 2006?

Haas Apps,

Do you have a better picture of the 24 poition turret? The data sheet does not show it well.

I have looked and can not find any. I will ask around.

Picture

Found one

Quote Originally Posted by WOLOG View Post
    Haas Apps,

Do you have a better picture of the 24 poition turret? The data sheet does not show it well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails turret.JPG  

Haas Apps: Could you please tell me why the Office mills are so expensive. A Super Minimill 2 is the same price as the smaller Office mill. This is puzzling.

Thanks.

OM

sergizmo,
    The simple answer is just like many other things - when they get smaller they cost more to make.

Quote Originally Posted by sergizmo View Post
    Haas Apps: Could you please tell me why the Office mills are so expensive. A Super Minimill 2 is the same price as the smaller Office mill. This is puzzling.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    Well, as you may know I am the Applications Manager and may not be able to answer all of your questions, but I will make an attempt.

The SS/ST line is a completely new model. It was designed from the ground up to be a robust machine. We have spent the better part of the last four years working on these machines and are very confident in their performance. I have had my staff testing these machine for about three years now and we are happy with the results. The turret on the SS/ST is much larger than the SL series and can accommodate up to 24 tools (yes 24). That should give you an indication of the turret size.

As you can probably guess I can not really discuss some of the things we have in development. But as many know Haas continues development of all our models all the time.
    How is it more robust? The SS/ST looks a little taller but are how they more robust than a SL30? and what sets them apart other than a slightly larger size? Is the SS/ST something to replace the SL series or is it an addition to lathe series? I'm still in the toolroom lathe phase but I'm curious.

Machine Comparison

John,
    The SS/ST line is a new lathe line. It is not a replacement for anything. Aside from the 24 tools, faster rapids, and spindle speeds, the overall design of the machine is outstanding. If you want to do a side-by-side comparison just go to:http://www.haascnc.com/specs.asp?ID=...LatheTreeModel and then select the SS-30 and ST-30 to compare specs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJW View Post
    How is it more robust? The SS/ST looks a little taller but are how they more robust than a SL30? and what sets them apart other than a slightly larger size? Is the SS/ST something to replace the SL series or is it an addition to lathe series? I'm still in the toolroom lathe phase but I'm curious.

Page 4 of 4 234