587,787 active members*
3,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Two cnc machines off same Gecko 540 driver?

Two cnc machines off same Gecko 540 driver?

So I'm building a cnc router and also have a G0704 manual mill that I'd like to convert to CNC.

Is it possible to run both CNC machines off of the same computer and Gecko 540 driver? I'd like to save money - have others tried this approach?

Not at the same time, no!

Other than that, if you end up using something like Mach3, you can set up various profiles which include motor configurations, etc. Since the G540 gets all it needs from Mach3, and the motor current is defined by the resistors which will be attached to the specific motors for each machine, yes you should be able to swap out the motor cables and run.

BUT - with anything more than a very basic setup, this will become a drag very quickly. You'll have to swap your home/limit switches cable (possibly another DB9 cable, so not a huuuge deal?), anything connected to spindle relays, etc. It's doable, but keep those things in mind

I'd hadn't thought about the limit switches etc. Maybe just the same computer & possibly the power supply, keep the drivers separate.

The same computer is definitely doable..

If you're on a tight budget, just keep the idea in mind when you're doing things. Make sure anything that gets plugged into the controller box can be easily disconnected, and easy to duplicate on the second machine. On my controller, I added a male DB9 plug to the case, with wires that go into the inputs of the G540. If I had a second machine, I'd just have to wire the home and limit switches similarly. If you have a relay to start/stop the spindle, have it wired to a female plug on the controller case, so you can plug the appropriate spindle to the box. If you really do something like this, I'd make sure all the wires and plugs are very clearly identifiable!

If you do this make sure the power is off before disconnecting anything or you'll toast your G540.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Simple to do, just as everyone says, 1 at a time only. The limits can be ready and wired the same for both machines. Use a plug that will allow the limits to be plugged and unplugged but keeps the same pinout. The profile will have the home/limit information of each machine. I do know that a multi axis simultaneous homing macro can not exist at the same time a single axis homing macro does. Other that that I see no issues.