588,250 active members*
4,097 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Types of wood

Hi all, I am new to this and would like to know what types of wood I should use? Since I have pine (1X4 stock) I figured I could use that but the finish was terrible. I am using a 1/4" v-bit HobbyCNC and making light passes but it seems to hog the material. Now I figure it is mostly due to the cheap wood. I would like to make a name plate sign for my daughter's bedroom. What wood should I use? I am going to be practicing a lot so obviously no exotics. LOL Thanks a lot.

I've been having the best luck with maple, oak, ash. In your home improvement store they'll probably have a "nicer wood' section with hardwoods - any of those should be good to work on. Also ask them if they have any clearance/dent wood. I've been able to get some larger pieces from my local store that have been chewed on one end or something similar. You just cut the bad parts off.

The key is you want hardwood, not softwood (pine). Every once in a while I try to tell myself it'll be okay, because pine is so cheap and makes good scratch board. But then the pieces end up so awful it wasn't worth trying.

No idea where you live, but see if you have any sawmills in the area. (Or companies that make cabinets, wood floors, etc) -- it's worth a call to see if they have any scraps you could use. Most places like that end up with a big pile of firewood and would be happy to let you take some of it.

Thank you very much for the response. I've been looking everywhere to find an answer to my "Pine" question. It is very soft and that is probably why it didn't carve very well. Since I was using a new bit I figured it had to be the wood. I'll try some better wood.

For cnc router mschining pine does not work well.
    Best result will be achieved if you get quarter cut (you will see tight horizontal grain) search image on web "rift oak" just to compare grain.

Maple walnut mahogany will work better.

Even if you are hand carving pine is way to soft. You need to use hard woods, if you dont want spend too much money birch or oak is a good start.

I use alder with good luck. In my area, alder is plentiful and (since I have a sawmill) inexpensive.