587,997 active members*
1,972 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > U drill cutting o/size and leaving pip

U drill cutting o/size and leaving pip

Hi,
    Im using a 14mm 4xd u drill on an SL10 and am getting a 0.010" oversize hole on mild steel, 0.040" o/size on stainless steel and im also getting a pip in the centre of the hole. It does look like the web with the inside insert is rubbing as there are a few marks on the web. I placed a clock in the chuck and clocked around the dia of the shank and it was within 0.004". Is this too much? The turret is also 0.004" out over 3 1/2" in the x axis after a crash when i first got the machine. The thing is i have been using a 20mm u drill for years and have never had this problem with it. Could the u drill be vibrating too much and causing the issue?

im getting somewhere now. I have placed a shim under one end of the toolholder so the x is now parallel. I no longer get a big pip but the drill is still cutting o/size

0.004" TIR would equal 0.004" over size. +/-0.004" run out would equal 0.008" oversize. Put a dial indicator down the side and across the front of the tool block for square in addition to checking shank. Adjust X axis run out in offset. Read the Haas manual on how to adjust Y axis run out.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    0.004" TIR would equal 0.004" over size. +/-0.004" run out would equal 0.008" oversize. Put a dial indicator down the side and across the front of the tool block for square in addition to checking shank. Adjust X axis run out in offset. Read the Haas manual on how to adjust Y axis run out.
    there was a 0.005 run out across the side of the tool block. I have now placed a 0.005 shim at one end and re clocked and is now within 0.0005. I clocked the face and it was 0. I then clocked the bore of the holder and it was within 0.002".
    Next i inserted the drill and clocked the shank which was fine, i then clocked the tip of the drill on the web and it ran out by approx 0.005".
    It cut 0.5mm o/size on mild steel with no pip, 0.75mm o/size on stainless with a pip. I have altered the x offset and can now cut without a pip but it still cuts 0.75mm o/size
    I have tried the drill on my minimill and it cuts 0.25mm o/size on mild steel
    I think there may be vibration due to the length of the drill which is causing part of the problem which would explain why it is worse on stainless

Agreed. It sounds like drill walk. Does the problem increase or decrease with change of feed rate? If the flutes are aligned with the X axis, you should be able to compensate for size with X axis offsetting.

i was using 0.05mm per rev feed but havent tried any other feed yet. I have finished for the day now so will try different feeds when i get back on monday.
    So would i have to alter the x axis in the - direction, if so is there a chance the drill will rub if i go too far?

Most of the inserted drills I have used can be adjusted for size on X axis +/-0.010 with no problems.