588,201 active members*
4,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Auto Tool Changer > Unidentified Small lathe turret- Can anyone tell me where this came from?

Unidentified Small lathe turret- Can anyone tell me where this came from?

I recently found a bargain on a complete Microkinetics 12x36 CNC Lathe package on CList. It has the ATC6 Turret, which is awesome. But the well outfitted home shop where I got this, was an estate with tons of tooling and bins of stuff available when I got there. So for about a grand above the 5k, I spent for the complete lathe setup, I filled my SUV with milkcrates full of amazing stuff. 80 packages of various unopened carbide indexables alone! Most of the toolholders are there for them too. Plus a complete Dorian BXA QCTP setup buried in one of the crates.

Alot of cool stuff, but this item is what I'm posting about. A small 8 Tool Turret. 4 square tool slots and 4 round slots. No info on it, no motor plates or ID on it. There is a D Decal Logo on it but nothing else. I really have no plans for it, since I have the ATC6 and my other cnc machines all have decent tool changing. , so I'd probably like to sell it after I find out what it is and if it works. I wish I had found something like this when I did my G0602 cnc conversion, perfect for about that size I think. Can anyone ID this turret? Better yet, anyone interested in it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140312_004127.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	227984
    Attachment 227986
    Attachment 227974
    Attachment 227976
    Attachment 227980
    Attachment 227978

It was from a Denford Orac. Fairly easy to control. Uses simply Optical switching to locate which tool it is on. Rotation is also simple. Apply 24 volts to the DC motor and it will turn. When the control detects the correct tool, reverse the motor with 12 volts, and the device will back up to a simple spring loaded lever inside. The 12 volts stays applied all the while it is in operation and that is why the DC motor has the cooling fins around it.

it is more robust and slightly larger than the Red Colored Enco ones that turn up. I believe the Enco's only had 6 tool positions whereas this one is 8. Documentation is easily found on Denford Forums, and the thing is easily worth between $400-600 in working condition on Ebay.

I've got one on my FlashcutCNC controlled Denford and it works most excellent when and If I need to use it.
    Chris L

By the way, Note the HOLES in the face plate. If you happen to FIND in your treasures some short tool holders that look like they were intended to slip into those holes and hold various drills, reams and boring bars, could you please Post photos of those ?

I have not been able to see any images of what Denfords originals looked like. Those too would be worth money to guys like me. Too bad right now in this economy I have no extra money !
    Chris L

Thank you for the info. Its very possible that I might have some stuff that might be for it. I'll give you first dibs and keep it reasonable if there's something you want. Might take me a bit to reach the bottom of all this stuff but I'll report back on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that these are the round tool holders for the Denford ATC. They were in a milk crate with a pair of 0.75" Boring Bars and 4 indexable square tool holders that fit the ATC perfectly also. If you want these 2 toolholders, I won't kill you for them, since I know you're monetarily challenged right now. Maybe make a trade or something?

Attachment 228410

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Is this turret still for sale?

Steve

Re: Unidentified Small lathe turret- Can anyone tell me where this came from?

HI DO YOU STILL HAVE THIS TURRET ?
    THANKS MAURICE