588,166 active members*
4,490 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unigraphics(NX) Cam system

:wave: Looking for some perspective on Siemens Unigraphics Cam system as to its ease of use, functionality, and capabilities. How would it compare to Virtual Gibbs, MastercamX, etc...... Looking at a new position and all they use for design and cam is Unigraphics.

Thanks

I am in the process of learning UG NX6 and so far it is the most powerful stuff and the most complicated I have had to learn. It will take the place of all you modeling, blueprint and manufacturing needs in one package. I have been working with it now for about 2 months and it is good stuff just a lot to take in. I am proficient with autocad, solidworks, esprit, and mastercam and it blows them all out of the water in what it will do. Just not easy to learn.

NX CAM Software

We are about to purchase new CAM software. The shortlist is Hypermill, NX Cam and Esprit. We have 3 integrex twin spindle full 5 axis as well as a variaxis 630 twin pallet. We are looking for software that will be able to post full 5 axis simultaneous to these machines.
    The big problem I have is this: After years and years of software programmers developing CAM packages what I consider to be basic functionality can only be found in the most expensive packages and even then only some of them.
    I would like features like the ability to calculate the tool life around the sections on the ballmill that perform the cutting and after say 6 mins of cutting in Ti the tool will be retired and a new tool selected.
    I would like the ability for the spindle to run constant surface speed so I dont get a heat affected zone on my titanium when my 16mm ball endmill moves over the part from cutting near centre to cutting at the 16mm dia.
    Has anyone got experience and ability to evaluate one against the other of the packages I have shortlisted??