588,554 active members*
5,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > use face mill to machine angle?

use face mill to machine angle?

Is this possible with Bobcad?

say machine a flat bar of material with a 1 degree slop? If so HOW are you guys doing it without angle blocks.
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

You could draw a line with appropriate x,z or y,z coordinates.Then you could do a 3D Engrave.You mave have to play with geometry and maybe(lie) about tool size or whatever to get the fore and after cut of tool to jive with the part you are cutting.The cut needs to be done with the end of cutter.This way is assuming you are looking for a one pass cut starting off material and finishing off material.Strike that,it'll scallop.The bigger diameter the cutter,the less the scallop though. You can of course draw a solid and slice planar it if not taking too much off.Do with small step offset.

Cut some soft jaws with an angle on them.That or prop part up and clamp somehow.Soft jaws more desirable if it will work for the part.Thats only way to avoid scallops all together,I think.Depending on part geometry you could put vice on side,indicate it in,then do a profile/ side milling op.

it is just a 1 degree slope...BUT using angle plates will require another set up on the machine...it would be alot nicer if i could program this in....
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

Bigger the diameter of cutter versus width of cut equals less scallop.Thinkin there will be a scallop though no matter what.For one pass use 3D Engrave.Lots of small step over passes draw solid and use slice planar.Thats all I got.I probably go with the one more set-up.Maybe someone else has the answer.

slice planer should do it
    it would be simple enough and probably quicker to trig the difference in depth from one end to the other and do some simple hand coding , a little back and forth sub routine with an incremental step over would take minutes to do , your surface flatness will be highly dependent upon the diameter of face mill and the step over that you use (as was mentioned)
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Not worth it. If finish is important at all, the stepover required will end up taking much more time than another setup would.