588,568 active members*
5,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Used machinery dealers

What is up with used machinery dealers? We have some really kinky ones in my area they try to sell a machine at higher than market value without even going through it. I am very frusterated with these guys. What makes these guys think they have gold?:boxing:

Yeah I know its a rant but a damn good warranted one. I feel like I need to kick some of these grease ball MF's right in the sack.

They are all sharks for the most part IMHO, it is def. a buyer beware market, most will spray on a coat of paint and resell.

To be fair, a used equipment dealer has to put out cash to buy the equipment, then put up money to keep the equipment in a heated warehouse, and maybe put up more money to power it up for demo, then he has to sit on it until someone comes along willing to buy it. Once in awhile he will have to eat and scrap a machine that turns out to be doa. Most of them can't make any money on a piece of equipment unless a potential customer has a job for a machine and is looking to save capital over the cost of new.

On the other hand, they make used car salesmen look like paragons of virtue.

If anyone doesn't want to pay the markup, all they have to do is haunt the auctions and put up their own cash, taking the same risks. Doing this you can get great deals or great hunks of iron.

I try to avoid them. But if a good paying production job lands in your lap and you don't have the equipment, it might just be worth it, because then time and capital cost become factors. This is the market they must go after unless they want to end up broke like the rest of us.

--97T--

Here's my two cents for buying used equipment. Figure out what you want, ie; style of machine (vertical, horizontal, lathe etc), size, any special needs (chip conveyer, power, coolant etc.), and then make a fax or mailer and send it or drop it off to every machine shop you can find. I have a shop, and have equipment that I don't use much. If some guy wanted to buy it, he could see it running, maybe even get some lessons on it too. I'm sure other shops would do the same. Best thing is, you see it running, and you don't pay any middle man. Like I said, just my two cents.

Fish