588,447 active members*
5,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > User coordinate system?

User coordinate system?

Hi to all users of Onecnc software:

Is there a technique to temporarily move the axis to a point on a part feature so that you can easily verify a few things, or even draw a few things easily, relative to this temporary location?

The way I do it now is to translate everything so that this location lies on X0Y0. Is this how it is supposed to be done?

Thanks.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I like to create a point at X0Y0, Then if you want to check another feature create a point in a position you want to check from' select every thing exept the two points and choose Copy/Move using the points to move from and to, then you can move the part back by reversing the process or even using the undo tab. It would be nice if Michael would step in here and explain "Move from In Car Position."
    Ken

Move from in car position

Guy's the move from in car position is pretty slick. I use it all the time to move the imported file I recieve from customers that draw their parts waaay out in no man's land.

What you do is put 3 end point on your model ie: two in the direction you want your x axis to run and one in y on the plane you want to be normal ie:x-y plane.
    Then select move from in car position and select the point you created in the order of x-y zero, x-plus and y-plus. (as you want the part to be oriented.)

And bam the part is move to x0 y0 z0 and the plane you selected in now the normal plane of x-y.

After I wrote this I decides to try and clearify it a little so here goes.

The move from in car has several different functions:
    1) you can pick the plane you want to end up with by using the "pick a plane" function. (this is what I use the most so I know the most about it)
    To use this function follow as above: create 3 end points on your model, on the plane you want to end up as the normal x-y plane.
    Then select the things you want to move.
    Then select the "move from in car position" function (it's now under the edit/ placments) and select "pick a plane", next in this order, pick the point you want to be X0 Y0 Z0.
    then pick the point you want to be x-plus in the x axis. And then the point that will be y-plus in y axis.

The other function under move from in car work like the above only you move from one plane to another.

The reason I use the "pick a plane " is because most of the model I recieve are both a long ways from xyz zero and are rotated to some extent. By using this feature I can move them to xyz zero and set the normal plane to something we machinists can use. ie: machine.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for that explanation, Ward. I was wondering about that function.

So in other words, there is no UCS

I can certainly see the value of re-orienting customer drawings, and it does make you wonder why they draw where they do, doesn't it?

As Mark pointed out, a person can move the model and then undo, I guess. I was interested in checking out relative positions of two entities, just to check over a drawing or model to make sure that it is correct. Verify 1 or verify 2 can leave you scratching your head sometimes when you are not able to temporarily move to a point of symmetry on a feature or between two features.

Hu,
    Use the "Tape measure" feature.
    It's next to the varifiy two button.
    It dosen't care the if the features are parallel or not.
    But you will have to use end points.

Thanks Ward, I missed the obvious. Oh well, that's why we're chatting about this stuff