587,999 active members*
1,963 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Using DC speed controler for Power Supply

Using DC speed controler for Power Supply

I was wondering if it were possible to use a 90 v Dc speed controler as a power supply. I was thinking I could vary the speed setting to set voltage.
    I was looking at a surplus 90v 10amp unit. any comments, suggestions.

this is my first post, I already submitted this once, but did not see it listed. sorry if I posted twice

Welcome CNCDust. Many common DC speed controllers do not isolate their outputs from the AC input and could cause problems when connected to other devices... as in *very dangerous* problems. If you don't see a transformer, its likely it can't be used.

JR

I'm with JRoque on this. If there is no main power transformer on this, forget it. A lot of "controllers" take what they need off of the line and there is usually a lot of noise associated with it. Stick with the old tried and true linear supplies. If you can't get the current rating you need from one transformer, there is no shame in using 3 separate like transformers (one for each motor drive).
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchstuff
    I'm with JRoque on this. If there is no main power transformer on this, forget it. A lot of "controllers" take what they need off of the line and there is usually a lot of noise associated with it. Stick with the old tried and true linear supplies. If you can't get the current rating you need from one transformer, there is no shame in using 3 separate like transformers (one for each motor drive).
    You would be better off using three transformers in parallel. That way, they share the load and you gain from the fact that it is unlikely that all three motors will draw the peak current at the same time.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470