588,147 active members*
6,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > USING RS232 DPRNT W/DATA SERVER (18)

USING RS232 DPRNT W/DATA SERVER (18)

I am interfacing an after-market product to a Fanuc 18 control with the data server option. I am using a DPRNT command outputting thru port 0 (or 1) to command the device; but I had to change the I/O channel from 5 to 0 (or 1) to talk to it. The user had to change back to channel 5 to use his data server for a large program.

Can DPRNT be used thru RS232 WHILE the data server is running?

If so, how?

I have always been a little confused about the distinction between ports and channels on these things, can someone clear this up?

Thanks!

Marc

Did a little more research- Fanuc says I can't do what I want to do...

How about using the G10 to change the I/O channel before and after my DPRNT?
    G10
    N0020 R00
    G11
    POPEN
    DPRNT[XXX]
    PCLOSE
    G10
    N0020 RO5
    G11

Will this interfere with the stream from the data server?

Just curious, and I have no idea if this will work, but... have you tried setting par#110 bit 0 to 1? This allows specifying input/output devices separately. Then set #20 to 5 and #21 to 0. Seems to me I tried this with the memory card and it worked fine.

That might make sense- would be great if it works. But I can't seem to find any reference to param 110 or 21 in my (ancient) documentation!

Thanks- I'll give it a try!

Info on Param 110-??

Thanks, DCOUPAR! Changing param 110 bit from 0 to a 1 solved it!

Now, next question: What does it actually do? I can't find any reference in the parameter manual, and the setting screen shows no info. Is this a "secret" Fanuc setting? Any ref. doc or even abook I can buy?

Thanks again!

Marc

Glad I could help. Here's a couple of pages from the 18i-A Parameter Manual that explain it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello,

I have been reading that you change the I/O port by a G code, dont you?

Please could you explain me how to do it?
    Just write G10, then N0020 R[port number] and finally G11?

I have also the machines with data server and the program is sent to the machine in buffer mode, if I change the port to use the commands POPEN and PCLOSE, could it affect or impact to the properly way of working of the file reception? The machines are conected by a FMS.

I am also asking if somebody know how to send the file created with commands POPEN-PCLOSE by ethernet port. Could you help me with that?

Thank you very much in advance. Best regards.

Rubén.

G10L50 sequence

Ruben-
    The function you are asking about allows a macro to set a control parameter to a different value- very useful in some cases. The usage is as follows:
    G10 L50 ;(or L52 in some versions- see manual)
    Nxxxx Ryy ;(where xxxx is the parameter number and yy is the new value)
    G11;

Note that there is no way to read the original parameter setting, so that in order to "reset" it you have to make an assumption about the original value. To change the I/O channel to "0" use the following:
    G10 L50;
    N0020 R0;
    G11 ;

To change "back" to a PCMCIA memory card:
    G10 L50;
    N0020 R04;
    G11;

As for your other questions, I don't have any immediate answers- I haven't worked with this stuff in a while. You may have to experiment some.

Good Luck!
    Marc

Thanks a lot marcwdci, it will be really useful.

Regarding to save the files created, there is one company that has developed CNC Reporter: www.gspsltd.co.uk

The contact is Mr. Guy Brown ([email protected]), he has been working for renishaw during 17 years. He created the CNC Reporter that Renishaw sales, but he has develop more this program. The new CNC Reporter can save the files automatically, one computer can save the results of 4 machines sending probe reports at the same time. I think it could be quite interesting for somebody with my same problem.

Thanks to all.