588,058 active members*
5,417 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Using STL Files For Verify
Page 1 of 2 12

Using STL Files For Verify

I have an imported IGES file of a part that needs a few features added and machined. I set up a new WCS for the part and called it OP-1. I made OP-1 my current WCS and made sure both T plane and C plane were checked for the OP-1 WCS. I then saved this file as an .STL file so I could use it as the start point when doing verification on the features I added to this existing part.

In Verify I choose the .STL file I saved but the coordinate systems is in the wrong place and Verify cuts the feature on the wrong side of the part and in the wrong place.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? How about a step by step on how to use an .STL file for Verify?

Are you using Wcs at different datum after you did the first one or did you translate the part at any given time?
    I will try tonight see if I can do a sample for you.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Are you using Wcs at different datum after you did the first one or did you translate the part at any given time?
    I will try tonight see if I can do a sample for you.
    The orginal IGES file for the part has a different datum. I created a new WCS for OP-1.

I never translate the part. I always create new WCS(s) for my operations.
    Thanks for the response. I can't figure out what the problem is or how your suppose to do this.

set the correct wcs in the verify menu, this will bring your stl file in the correct orientation. had the same problem and found it by accident while poking around in the verify menu
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

I'm using X2 MR2. Can't find the "Verify Menu" you refer to. I can find a Configure button in the Verify Dialog box which raises a Verify Options Dialog Box. I see no where in this dialog box that I can change the WCS for Verify. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercam User View Post
    I'm using X2 MR2. Can't find the "Verify Menu" you refer to. I can find a Configure button in the Verify Dialog box which raises a Verify Options Dialog Box. I see no where in this dialog box that I can change the WCS for Verify. What am I missing?
    sorry, i misspoke, the only time the verify allows you to set the wcs is when you have both lathe and mill operations in the same file and you are trying to verify an stl done in the lathe or mill op. then it allows you set the correct orientation.
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Mastercamuser,
    From what I remember here the stl file has to be saved in the wcs view you want to see in verify. I have had strange things happen were it will lose location of the stl and save it back to the original top view. When it would do this I was abble to use xform stl to move the stl where I needed it to be.
    Steve Arteman
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Here is a file I programed and used the STL stock with multi able WCS's and datums.
    Large download see if this gives you some incite in using the STL to verify as stock.

http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/stlstock/stlstock.html
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thanks, Jay. I will look at this video in the next few days and comment on it. As always, I really appreciate the efforts you make with your videos.

Here is a file I programed and used the STL stock with multi able WCS's and datums.
    Large download see if this gives you some incite in using the STL to verify as stock.

http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/stlstock/stlstock.html

You want me to be honest, right? I didn't get anything out of this video probably because the problem I have is only when I have to add operations to an already machined part. What you do in the video is already what I do from operation to operation. I verify and save the .STL and use it as the basis of the next operation. As you read in my post to the other forum I start with a Pro-e IGES file and many of my Pro-e IGES files won't heal into an STL file. Pro-e IGES is all I'm going to get. I can't change that. It would be nice to know how to fix the broken STL file, as I have no clues. We don't have the Solids Add-In so I can't use a solid otherwise I'd forget all about trying to make the received IGES into an .STL. Others may find the video very helpful but I have been doing exactly what you do for a while now. Do you or anyone else know how to fix broken .STL files that won't form into the shape of the part? On the other forum there is someone who posts as Ernie from Verisurf. Does his product fix this problem? I have read Ernie's posts and I don't really understand what he offers a Mastercam user. Sorry it took me so long to view your file.

You want me to be honest, right? I didn't get anything out of this video probably because the problem I have is only when I have to add operations to an already machined part. What you do in the video is already what I do from operation to operation. I verify and save the .STL and use it as the basis of the next operation. As you read in my post to the other forum I start with a Pro-e IGES file and many of my Pro-e IGES files won't heal into an STL file. Pro-e IGES is all I'm going to get. I can't change that. It would be nice to know how to fix the broken STL file, as I have no clues. We don't have the Solids Add-In so I can't use a solid otherwise I'd forget all about trying to make the received IGES into an .STL. Others may find the video very helpful but I have been doing exactly what you do for a while now. Do you or anyone else know how to fix broken .STL files that won't form into the shape of the part? On the other forum there seems to be an Ernie from Verisurf. Does his product fix this problem. I have read his posts and I don't really understand what he offers a Mastercam user.
    I do not have a fix for your STL issue for Mastercam but there is a Software that will do what you want. It is called Predator Virtual CNC. It generally costs $1000 per Axis plus options. It is a direct plug-in Add-On for Mastercam too.

If you want, I can help you with your STL. Go to my website and email an Iges, Step, or DWG and I'll save it as an STL that you can use. This is a one time free offer because well, it's Sunday, and I'm bored LOL. Seriously I'd like to help you.

BTW: cadcam is away on weekend holiday
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I e-mailed you the IGES file that I can't use with Mastercam X2 MR2 Verify. I can save the file as an. STL but when I try to use it in Verify I get a notice that it has failed.

I e-mailed you the IGES file that I can't use with Mastercam X2 MR2 Verify. I can save the file as an. STL but when I try to use it in Verify I get a notice that it has failed.
    WOW!!!!! The file is 18.3MB as an STL. It zipped as 10MB and had to be sent from my personal email. You will be getting two emails one STL hopefully healed for you and a pic of the Model.

I can try to do more with healing with Alibre if necessary but will have to figure out how to do that. Still new to the GUI in Alibre, LOL.

I hope this can help you.

Cheers!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

You have got the wrong file. The IGES file I sent you is only 600kb.

An STL File is larger than an Iges
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Ok this make more sense now. I did not catch that you were making Iges to STL and trying to use this as Stock. So I am gathering you are getting the waterfall effect.

There is not a tool for repairing STL files in MC The varisurf stuff does have some to for handling stl's better.

I have a tool in my "Predator Verification" for repairing bad STL files and also in my "Solid View" (http://www.solidview.com/) software.
    Cadcam

Ok this make more sense now. I did not catch that you were making Iges to STL and trying to use this as Stock. So I am gathering you are getting the waterfall effect.

There is not a tool for repairing STL files in MC The varisurf stuff does have some to for handling stl's better.

I have a tool in my "Predator Verification" for repairing bad STL files and also in my "Solid View" (http://www.solidview.com/) software.
    Hey how was your weekend trip cadcam??

I have that tool in Predator Virtual CNC, but forgot about it seeing that it's never been needed.

Mastercam User, did the STL file I sent work or are you still having problems??
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Toby, you sent me a file of a foot. This was not the file I sent you. You somehow mixed up the files.

Don't know what the "waterfall effect" is, Jay. Mastercam X2 MR2 Verify rejects the STL and makes it a block. Something about it won't heal or has failed. I posted the exact failure message in the other forum. If you don't mind I would like to send you this file which Toby has mixed up with some other file of a foot. This file is a bracket. I'd like to see if you can get it to work with Verify. I guess Toby is trying to use Bobcad to work with the STL. I'm really not interested in having anything to do with Bobcad, ever.

You sent me a file of a foot. This was not the file I sent you. You mixed up the files.
    Hmmmmmm........ I saved that to my CNC Zone Help Files. I will look at the email you sent again, maybe something got messed up. Sorry about that.

Well you know what they say, "Open mouth insert Foot"

I was a nice foot though. It will serve for a FOOT File, LOL

I resent your file and this time, it's the right one. If need be I can try sending it through the STL Fix Tool in Predator Virtual CNC. Predator is a really nice simulator.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 1 of 2 12