587,768 active members*
3,724 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V22 - Crashing upon file/open

V22 - Crashing upon file/open

I've had V22 for ~10 days now and, by and large, it was working pretty well. However I just opened the software tonight and anytime i click file/open, the software instantly closes. I unsintalled/reinstalled with no luck. I haven't made any other changes to the computer.

I know it's a shot in the dark but has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks.
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

try a "system restore" back to before the problem started happening. assuming you are using windows 2000

This is a shot in the dark but when was the last time you did a registry cleanup??

Try that and see if it helps.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I did a windows system restore and it worked, but it's still buggy. I think it is partially because I "upgraded" from V2007 to V22...
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

I don't know about V22, but the older V18 used to exhibit this problem whenever a bad file crashed the program. Reopening that bad file would result in another crash.

The reason was a temporary version of the bad file that was left in the Temp folder. So cleaning the temp folder of everything was the solution. Normally your Temp folder is a catchall, and might have a few active files in use, but normally, everything in there is crap and leftovers from program installers, and crashes. This folder needs periodic cleaning.

In Win 98, it was the Windows/temp folder that contained the garbage, and this was easy to find.

In WinXP, you've got to look for your own personal 'Temp' file, not the Windows/temp because that one seldom has anything in it anymore. Perhaps you will need to unhide system and hidden folders in explorer views first. Then look under Documents and settings/your user name/local settings/temp. Delete everything in there that you can. Hopefully, you would be savvy enough to not actually use, save to or install anything inside that folder
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I had the same problem with V22. I was told to reinstall the software from www.bobcad.com/updates . After that, make sure to select 'Repair' during the installation.

Unfortunately, that didn't fix it. I lost the file, even though I save it every minute. Bobcad is not stable with Windows Vista.

I made a new drawing file and all is well. (toolpath problems are a seperate discussion...)
    Rob in Ohio

V22 and Vista

Getting ready to wrap up my 3 day class here in Ontario CA. and running Vista. I haven't had any crashes for 3 days of trying any kinds of crazy stuff. The same 2 weeks ago in Las Vegas. Using a brand new , dependable Toshiba notebook with Vista on it. Like I have said, tried what ever the attendees are asking me to do and knock on wood no crashes. I will try to have some new videos for V22 on my site for free downloads by the end of next week.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ccleaner

There is some free(donations graciously accepted I'm sure ) software available called ccleaner. The c stands for crap and it cleans things in a hurry! You can set it up and tell it what not to clean but it takes care of tons of clutter and temp files. With another click it will do the same for the registry. I use it and ad aware to clean up things dragging down or disrupting my computer functions as well as running Norton once a week. Running the other two, Norton scan almost always finds nothing to complain about.

Hu

graphics card

i called bobcad my ver 22 would crash any time i tried to open a file or bobart file it was my graphics card it is only a 128 and they said i need a 256 but if i would go to the card web site and download the current drivers it might work i did and it took care of the problem

Quote Originally Posted by reedmiles View Post
    i called bobcad my ver 22 would crash any time i tried to open a file or bobart file it was my graphics card it is only a 128 and they said i need a 256 but if i would go to the card web site and download the current drivers it might work i did and it took care of the problem

What Graphics Card are you using and what type of PC.....Desk Top / Lap Top??
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

v 22 crash

desk top intel r 82915g express chipset family

Talking AGP window?

Make sure the AGP window setting in the BIOS is not larger than than the video card memory.
    If you have a 64M video and tha AGP windows is 128M windows can go off in the weeds on a regular basis, crashing programs, but surviving. It appears to think there is a second screen (existant or otherwise) sometimes.
    A simple terst for this is to put an explorer wind on the screen, then using the bar at the top of the window, drag it around the screen rapidly without overlapping the edges of the screen. So far so good. No start dragging the window further and off the edges of the screen by heaps.
    Does it have dificulty redrawing the window while you are off the screen?
    ie. You get multiple immages not redrawn in a timely manner.
    If so look further for AGP window settings.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.