587,166 active members*
3,753 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V25 first impressions

V25 first impressions

I've just downloaded the V25 demo. Here are my thoughts.

1. Stock wizard scrolling is weird. you can only move it with the tab. The arrows don't work for me

2. Compute all toolpaths in Cam Part/Milling tools doesn't seem to work for me.

3. I can't seem to save or load features. Also it would be nice to be able to just copy and paste a feature.

4. No High speed pocketing (even though there is an example file in the examples folder)

5. No true 4th or 5th axis support

That's all for now

Vetsen

Thumbs up I Agree

The stock wizard is toatally weird ,just because you can change something does not mean you should!
    And the tool import should have been in the v24 version ,i think this is anouther wait and see version and let's see what shake's out .
    Some nice improvments but not worth spending any money on unless you just like spending money .

The stock wizard is toatally weird ,just because you can change something does not mean you should!
    The change in Stock handeling seems to be one of the major enhancements!

Before, there was no need to even define stock, and less control of how to interact with stock... This seems to have changed, and would be huge for us. I think the wizard was added to help facilitate understanding of it.

If the 3d toolpaths are now understanding stock definition and UCS integration, this is a major jump. Not trivial by any means (I would guess a setup of full 4th work too)

I agree but is this the case ? ,the 3 d has been such a pain and 4th axis do not even get me started with it. I see we have a new simulation does not work in demo V 25 ,how is one to test these features with no access to them.

Is the geometry going to be able to be selected like it should and is the 3d going to recognize it ?

Is the simulation going to work in 4th axis to where you could actually see it cut the tool path on the part? did not work in V24 .

I would advise anyone to be (very careful )and make sure that what you want to do can be performed by this software we have all been down this road before.
    With so many features that did not work and could not perform the intended function that a normal shop would require.
    I hope to be proved wrong i really do ,it would be nice to finally get something that actually works out of BCC . as advertized !!

Quote Originally Posted by woffler View Post
    I agree but is this the case ? ,the 3 d has been such a pain and 4th axis do not even get me started with it. I see we have a new simulation does not work in demo V 25 ,how is one to test these features with no access to them.

Is the geometry going to be able to be selected like it should and is the 3d going to recognize it ?

Is the simulation going to work in 4th axis to where you could actually see it cut the tool path on the part? did not work in V24 .

I would advise anyone to be (very careful )and make sure that what you want to do can be performed by this software we have all been down this road before.
    With so many features that did not work and could not perform the intended function that a normal shop would require.
    I hope to be proved wrong i really do ,it would be nice to finally get something that actually works out of BCC . as advertized !!
    That is a big list of "what if's?"

It is an odd post for me though, as there is no big list of stuff that didnt work for V24, or V23 for that matter, for me. "as advertised", The basic verify in V24/23 never intended or insinuated it would simulate 4th axis parts, however, I do this with the predator backplot and the upgraded simulation in both of those versions... I dont know how the new "basic integrated verifyer" handles things yet, but neither do you. If you want to find out, load the 32 bit demo, as the 64 bit is not enabled with an unlock. Maybe someone else who actually has it loaded can post if the built in verifyer shows round stock (or even "solids-wireframes-stls" as it appears is selectable?) If it is just "basic" and "flat" (as old) and requires an upgrade to do more advanced simulation, then a shop that needs this can upgrade to do it. This is not uncommon in CAD/CAM software purchases.

It's nice that you "hope your wrong", but it seems to me that you already are.

Yes, the simulation brings in the stock you have created, in V23/V24 to get that it was a case of making a .STL file and saving it into Predator "Stock" folder and then getting the Header right in order to call it up!!!

All that is gone, so easy now to facilitate any shape of stock, see image below.
    This was done in a couple of minutes and I`m slow on a keyboard , all I did was to use the "Continuous Line" facility and drew a weird shape, put a few fillets in to round off the corners and then did a simple "extrude".

Used the "Stock Wizard" to select my extrusion, set the thickness and presto stock shape done, so any solid you can make can be your stock in a few clicks, will make it incredibly easy to do a machine bed with slots and insert vices, clamps etc (Oh, and the spanner you left in there when setting the job up)

Drew some simple geometry and made them into a couple of pockets. It has taken me longer to type this out than it did to make what is on the screen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V25 SIMULATION.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	160341

Think I`m going to actually enjoy using this software now (Only joking Al )

BTW This was done on the 32 bit version on an old HP Dual core 2.0Ghz small form PC with only 128Mb Graphics, runs well, didn`t have to set the simulation speed even to 50%.

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:

Hey General,
    Maybe have a look at the lathe stuff? As I could always make it work, I dont know enough about Lathes to understand what was missing that upset lathe owners.. Could you respond for me if it has made improvments for you? I know you know lathes and would value your input on it...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Hey General,
    Maybe have a look at the lathe stuff? As I could always make it work, I dont know enough about Lathes to understand what was missing that upset lathe owners.. Could you respond for me if it has made improvments for you? I know you know lathes and would value your input on it...

Thanks.
    Hi Burr

I haven`t had time to do anything with the Lathe, did have a look at the Video that Al had done and the stock manipulation is also much improved in the Lathe side, this will be of great benefit to those using Lathes to turn up casting as it will now work to the solid stock boundary and not the old cylindrical stock, there was someone asking about that only a week or so back if I remember correctly.

Will try and get some time on it this evening (My time )

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:

1. Stock wizard scrolling is weird. you can only move it with the tab. The arrows don't work for me.

Stock Wizard - Make the box bigger this should help ..
    Correct Arrows do not work ...(I guess we all use the middle mouse button here.. ) You must drag the scroll bar or use mouse wheel, I will report a bug issue on this..

2. Compute all toolpaths in Cam Part/Milling tools doesn't seem to work for me.

Cannot produce a problem,... Do you have geometry selected?

3. I can't seem to save or load features. Also it would be nice to be able to just copy and paste a feature.

Save and load work on my end.... Let me know some details I may be able to help...

4. No High speed pocketing (even though there is an example file in the examples folder)

High speed is titled adaptive roughing in the Advanced roughing , (Must use a 3D part.)

5. No true 4th or 5th axis support

Correct this will be made into an add on module later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Hey General,

Thanks.

Burr,

Lathe should have no changes... Not yet anyway...

Will there be a wire module available in near future?

Not in V25... Wire is now stand alone..
    CNC Wire EDM Software | BobCAD-CAM

If demand grows there may be but for right now, no...