588,044 active members*
3,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool V2XT with a New BUG up its A$$ !! Again...

Well, when i turn on my V2XT "BMDC" a red box shows up on the screen and says " Incompatible software error " or something like that. Some times it does turn on OK , i'll home it and any where from 1 min. to 45 min. later i'll hear the servo breaker trip. No alarm comes up when this happens that tells me what happened. It will trip servos when just sitting still or cutting. Any ideas? Thanks for your time Mike

A servo fault SHOULD set a fault code with the BMDC - the servo amps do have a fault trip provision in them. THese are set by overcurrent or undervoltage.Faults are input to the BMDC by the amps via wires 59, 60 and +1 at the AUF card - JP connectors 10 and 11. Easy to find on the schematc, Don't even try to fix it without a schematic. If you plug the wrong wires into the AUF card, the thing will never run or cost you a fortune to fix if you short something.

NOw, if the amp optoisolator fauls (common problem with the MIS amp), the fault won't set and the fuses may blow and no error code can/will set.

The optoisolators can be self repaired if you know how to find them and know how to unsolder/solder PCB's. Took me couple hours to do 2 and less than $20. Be prepred to spend much dollars for new amps or EMI rebuild.

Do a full ground check of the cables as old, funky cables can short out READILY. THis can/will come and go. OEM style cables are available from EMI or you can kluge up your own. Exposed, flexible cables readily deteriorate.

Blpwn fuses imply shorts to ground - solutions above.

One more thing - tired motors. Clarkson rebuilds them and they are the best..

Thanks a Bunch for the info. Now i have a place to START looking. I do have the book of schematics to refer to. This mill is at my house and is a tool for my hobbies ( been a machinest for 20 years tho... ). I've been chasing problems since i bought it. Thanks Mike