587,482 active members*
3,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Venture into Vinyl Cutting

This doesn't really pertain to the machining industry at all but I thought I'd share a new hobby I picked up.

Here's the cutter itself. 34" US Cutter MH-871

BTP Sticker

And a multilayer I did for the boy..

Enjoy..

~Scott

I have the exact same unit, great little cutter did the cutter come with software?
    Ebay I presume?
    You will find so many uses for that little machine, I originally purchased it for my custom airbrushing business for masking and graphics but found that there can be $$ to be had just making simple stickers, and it takes me much longer to draw flames, skulls, scallops etc... on the computer and most people wanted to actually watch the layout happen. I get alot more ooohs and aaahs when just slammin out graphics freehand
    In fact I am cutting some stuff tonight, the wife usually wants window stuff for the house during the holidays so its black cats, ghosts, and pumpkins tonight and probably a bunch of snowflakes next month.
    I use alot of medium strength contact (brand) vinyl for masking and such as it is much cheaper than standard 7-10 year vinyl and can be had at the big box home stores for very little
    I purchased mine directly from the distributor in Seattle area, saved a boat load on shipping, and I can get parts locally (not that I have needed them)
    Have fun and drop me a pm if you have any questions

Yeah it is fun being able to cut whatever you want. I picked up two big bags of scrap high performance 2MIL vinyl from a local sign shop. Paid $10 and got about 15-20 different colors.

It did come with software. I use Sign Blazer and have a year subscription to Sign Cut Pro.

I've yet to use Sign Cut Pro. I design everything in Inkscape and export to .EPS into SignBlazer to do the actual cutting.

~Scott

I use SB as well, very easy to use. Transfer tape "clear" is pretty expensive so you might want to ask your local supplier for his remnant rolls as I did and now have enough to last quite a while

JTCUSTOMS

Actually I picked up a roll of drawer liner from Walmart for like 6 bucks. It works okay but it's a tad to sticky and sometimes when you apply the vinyl and then peel the transfer tape off it wants to pull the vinyl with it and creates bubbles. I need to get a roll of actual transfer tape.

~Scott

I forgot to mention that I have found that the 60 deg blades work alot better than the 45 deg blades for the finer more intricate designs.. but dont last as long.
    The 45 deg blades work better for the heavier vinyl though
    And yes I tried every option for transfer tape but found that true transfer tapes work best

JTCUSTOMS

MH-871 Question

I just bought this machine today, and am planning on cutting vinyl what should i set the downforce too? any other suggestions would be nice thanks
    Chauser57

I've found 12in/sec and 60g of force works well on Oracal 651 Calendered vinyl. If you use high performance like 751 cast vinyl you'll need to lighten up on the pressure. Really you need to play with depending on the brand/type of vinyl being cut.

Great machine for the money. It's paid for it's self many times over for me.

Thats what the little test button is for

JTCUSTOMS

Hello! Just purchased the MH-871 off ebay direct from USCutter which is in WA state. I see these posts were from a couple years ago. Is your unit still alive and well?

I get mine tomorrow! Can't wait.

diyengineer, i think *registered* under someones name means they are banned, i don't think you are going to get a response from the op.