588,127 active members*
5,050 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Ver. 21 - How to add an end plate to Extruded Curve Segment

Ver. 21 - How to add an end plate to Extruded Curve Segment

Any ideas on how to add an endplate to a curved part.

I created a boat keel fin with the Extrude a Curve under Solids Menu. I then unioned a cube on the top of the fin to create a 'T' to have a flange to bolt the keel to the bottom of the boat hull.

I then created two parts by splitting the part in half down in the 'l' of the keel and flange. I am making a pattern that will be used to cast the complete part.

The flange was two tall for the 'Z' on my CNC router. So I split the part into two parts so I can rotate the flange on its top and route the plate, fillet and part of the keel fin that I intend to glue back on to the fin.

Problem now is that the tool path generated treats the curve as a hollow part and routes out the back side of the curve down to the 'top' of the flange.

Can I add an end plate to the part, convert it into a solid some how or will I have to redraw that part to extrude the short curve with an end plate?

Thanks

Sam

I'm not really following your procedure but will offer this:

You can define a 2D boundary to limit your toolpath.
    In the last page of the Generate Toolpath dialog you can pick the boundary options. This is very handy for keeping the paths from dropping off the edges of your model.

You can also define a surface anywhere to confine or limit tool motion.
    After it's defined, select all solids and surfaces and stitch with Solids > Stitching > Stitch surfaces to Solid.
    Note that the surfaces can just be faces, no need to make them geometrically solid.

I often use a combination of the above 2 procedures to create a runout surface for the cutter to change direction on.

If you can't get it, you can post your zipped up file.

Good luck,
    moldmker

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do not think a 2 d boundry will work as it would have to sit on top of the part.

I will just redraw and extrude the part with a the correct end plate on the curved fin.

I could even 'edit the cnc code, just a lot of places to fix it at. Would have to chase down every 'roughing cycle' to fix.

I have attached the dwg with the tool path on it.

Sam
    Attached Files Attached Files

The boundary can be ANYWHERE in the Z level.

Extract edges from the model.

Use Move to Z to move all edges up to a common Z plane, usually up off the part somewhere.

Use Optimize and Erase doubles to clean up.

Then you can manipulate them into boundaries.

However, after looking at your part, the reason the path was falling over the sides was because of the exposed floor under the arch.

Blank that floor.
    Use Planar toolpath with XY extents set to part edge.
    Toolpath will be contained to upper surfaces.

If you want it to fall over your outer block edges like your original file then you will need a boundary.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	65503

Thanks for the help.

I ended up deleting the tool path that droped to the part bottom and then raised the remaining toolpath up to the part top.

I used Planar option to generate the tool path, are other ones better?

I will be routing the part with a 1/4" round end bit and was wondering what would be the best step rate for good results?

Sam

OK, finally had to re extrude the part to correct length so end plate was in place.

Now a question about generating tool path.

I selected planar and used a 1/4 round end bit to cut the part. I had set up 1/8 step overs and now have a part with ton's of valleys and ridges.

The part is as above with a flat plate with chamfer and fillet joining it to a curved boat keel form (think top half of air plane wing surface.)

Thoughts on settings?

Sam