587,809 active members*
2,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF-1 + Ethernet

We use a Haas VMC and Ethernet to a PC. We need at the moment to remove the cable from the PC at times and generally run into problems trying to transfer files after we plug back in.

We've tried a number of different ways and sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. Often we get a bunch of "435 DISK ABORT's" before we have any luck.

This is from memory so I may get the exact words mixed up but we've tried

edit>F1>Read disk "ALARM"

Program>Erase old Disk file>F4 "ALARM"

Programs>Erase all>reset>F4 "ALARM"

IP settings F1> Programs>F4 "ALARM"

Usually after going at these for a few minutes or restarting the machine a couple of times we get a new file when we F4 in programs. But I'm pretty frustrated by then.

Am I missing something simple here?

Thanks
    Bob

What year of machine is this?

What is the reason that you are unplugging the ethernet cord from the computer? Do you need to connect to an office network and the CNC control at the same time?

Install a second network card on the PC and use a cross over cable to the CNC.
    Wayne Hill

Or, install a router at the PC, and then you can leave the network alone, once it is working.

Ethernet is not something to be plugged and unplugged at random. Some versions of Windows take some time to re-establish the connection, and a reboot is not out of the question. As for the Haas itself, I'd be surprised as hell if it would not need to be rebooted once the Ethernet connection has been disrupted.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Machine is 2002.
    Yes I was unplugging to plug in the office network and then re plugging to send files. Just the last few days I'm having problems getting a connection back to the machine.
    I have dug up an old laptop with XP that I will dedicate to the machine. I noticed once that someone has written a pretty nice "how to" setup the Ethernet from scratch. I can't find it though.

Any help would be great.

A router or hub is the best way to go. Very cost effective compared to machine downtime. If for some reason our gets unplugged it nearly always requires a reboot of the machine and PC.

Andrew.

Very Happy now!!
    Thanks

Is there an advantage to getting the ethernet option or is just as easy to get a dedicated PC that's connected to your network and connect it via the COM port?

Has anyone connected their networked PC to the control through the USB port?

Quote Originally Posted by cnc@52 View Post
    Is there an advantage to getting the Ethernet option or is just as easy to get a dedicated PC that's connected to your network and connect it via the COM port?

Has anyone connected their networked PC to the control through the USB port?
    The advantage of the Ethernet option is the much faster data transfer rate. Depending on you types of programs (3D or continuous 5 axis) the fastest baud rate for the com port will be to slow.

Andrew.