588,227 active members*
4,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question VK45 serial port

I'm trying to find a drawing/wiring chart for the serial port on a vk45 I have looked around the internet and can't seem to find one

I'm trying to help a friend by building a cable for him and understand the PC end and have an understanding of handshaking

Thanks to all

I have a customer that has some of these Hitachi VK45's and I could probabally get it Monday, Here is a link in the mean time, (they also have a free single PC/machine) DNC program. http://www.cadem.com/ncnet/ncnet_dncdetails-41.htm
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks the link is about what i thought but its for a vk41 I hate to ask but if you can on monday just to be sure i would appericate it, TJ

I'll see what I can do, it is probabally going to be a standard RS232 25p 'D' conn. I think he uses the 3 wire (jumpered handshake) mode.
    Al

Albert E.

Thats what I thought but with a red wire in pin 1 I just want to be sure, thank you for your help, TJ

Is that pin 1 of a 9p D, or pin 1 of 25p? Pin one of the 25 pin type is usually ground or shield, and not generally used. On 9 pin D pin one is DCD.
    Al

Albert E.

VK45 RS232 Pinout

Here is the VK45 serial port info, . I guess the VK45 port is not standard after all.
    VK45___ PC
    3------2 SD
    5------3 RD
    7------4 RTS
    9------5 CTS
    14-----20 DTR
    15-----8 DCD
    13-----7 SG
    1------1 FRAME GND
    Al

Albert E.

Thank you for checking, I hate to ask 1 more thing, his book has a listingfor location 305 there is no table/location for 7 or 8 bits or even odd parity the is a listing for stop bit.
    the 305 location has a table the showes differant baud rates but only one block for baud, am I to assume the right 4 bits are the hold baud rate setting or does the type of machine only work at 600 baud
    I want to say thank you VERY much for you help, TJ

I will see what I can find out tomorrow.
    Al

Albert E.

Thank you again , by then hopefully I'll have cable done or at lease a splice block, have a good 1 , TJ

Hi Al,
    New on this Forum, machine and communication. I have a 1988 VK-45 with the Seike Seicos M2 controller and intend to use a 25 to 9 pin serial. Can you maybe help me? Please, please! I Need pin wire info, stop bit, parity, data bit, flow control, and Xon/Xoff character information if you should have it. You are truely the Al Man in my book, if you can help me.

Tnx a bunch.

E.T.

If you use the three wire cable,( XON/XOFF HS) and the VK has a 25pin D connector out to the front then, on the CNC side 6,8,& 20 are jumpered 4 & 5 are jumpered, on the 9pin 1, 4 & 6 and pins 7 & 8 are jumpered the 3 wire connection between D connectors:
    CNC -----PC
    2---------2
    3---------3
    7---------5
    Set both ends to 9600baud 7 bits, even parity, 1 stop bit.
    What communication program are you using?
    Al.

Albert E.

So, at least I have one of my many cabels/connections wired correctly. Thanks for the confirmation.

Where do I change the "7 bits" and "even parity" on the machine? Is it born that way?

I'm using/trying a trail version from cncedit.com. Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

E.T.

Do you have a manual? I don't have the key sequence of the top of my head, I have set up a couple of machines for customers but don't remember the details, It is probabally going to default to this, other than that it would probablly be the baud rate only that is off, you could try outputing to the PC and try different baud rates until its legible.
    Al.

Albert E.

I appreciate that help, but I am not sure if I really have "hole through" at all. When I punch in the number of the file, (which I want to transfer fom the machine) followed by the input key, then the control screen is supposed to show the lines that are being transfered/punched out, and it doesn't. I will try the diff. Baud rates and see what happens.

I have a few mauals and what I can see is: start bit is 1, stop bit is 2, and that leaves 8 for the whole character. does that translate into something that I need or did I fall off the rocker here?

I could send you a few pics of the "monitor options" but the email option does not allow attachments, so.....

Thanks a bunch so far. I have some testing to do. I will let you know how it goes.

E.T.

No Luck Yet! But I Still Have Options!

T

Hi Al

Gone for a long time, but I'm back with further questions. I bought a RS232 line analyzer.
    When it is hooked up to my 20SII lathe (Seiki Multi, with which I can communicate) I can see how it is working.
    When I hook it up to my VK45 with Seicos 2,
    1) I am lacking communication on my RTS line. It only gives one (1) very short flicker and it should flicker as long as it is transmitting
    2) TD line turnd green (on the 20SII it is mixed red/green)
    3) CD and DTR turns green as soon as I connect the cables. On the 20SII they stay red until I start the transmission. I have changed the 2 IC (75188 & 75189) on the board, but that did not help.

Can you help me please, or guide me to someone who can?

Thank you in advance, E.T.