587,997 active members*
1,666 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > VM1 spindle problem

VM1 spindle problem

Hello,

We have had a VM1 running now from new for a while, now the warranty has just finished the 8k spindle decides to seize up and smoke comes out of the top on the warm up cycle. Rotating the spindle by hand feels lumpy and jerky. Just wondering what can be done to fix this or is it a new spindle, I am quite disappointed really it is a machine built to last but 2 years of use and the main spindle packs up. Not very good; has anyone else had similar problems?

John

I have a vm1 and vm2 with no issues. What are you cutting for mtl? Production or small runs? just curious. I'd contact Hurco direct at the factory and see if they will help out, that doesn't seem right after only 2yrs.

Goodluck, doubt Hurco will do a thing. Terrible support even in warranty

Have you had any crashes? You could always replace the bearings yourself. Very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by 68sixspeed View Post
    I have a vm1 and vm2 with no issues. What are you cutting for mtl? Production or small runs? just curious. I'd contact Hurco direct at the factory and see if they will help out, that doesn't seem right after only 2yrs.
    We only cut alum and brass. No bumps. We do small runs.
    We have contacted Hurco and a new spindle is £2500. The same spindle is used in the VM2 which we have also.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Have you had any crashes? You could always replace the bearings yourself. Very easy.
    I would be very interested in doing this. How would one go about doing this, instructions etc?

Thank you all for your input.

Two VM1 machines, the newer one died two weeks B4 warranty expired, defective from the start. Second machine which is now three and a half just went on me last week. Mostly aluminum,
    I was milling 15 parts with 100 islands 3mm in diameter, 5mm high, with a 2.5mm radius at the bottom and the cycle time was just over an hour. Yup the spindle gave up the ghost, It's the design of them, sealed for life bearings and no positive cooling. Heat, 8K RPM and centrificul force make the grease go bye bye and you are all done. A new one is $4600 and you can change it out in two hours taking your time. Hurco always has them in stock. Break the cost down per day and you will find that it isn't that expensive. Remember this is a great machine for not a lot of money. Its a cheap investment every 3 or 4 years or so.

If you have the CD that came with your machine, there is an exploded view of the spindle. Looks like 4 total bearings. At this point, you have nothing to loose in taking it apart. If you don't have the IPL, I could email it to you in .pdf format.

Yeah, you could do you own spindle repair, but how long will it last, Unless you know what the factory uses for preload and how they measure and adjust it you are taking a shot in the dark. We've all done bearings on our own BPorts, but this aint no BP. A new or rebuilt comes with a warranty, doing your own doesn't. Take your pick, let the pro's do it or get into the spindle repair business for a day. Repair it right once, or repair it twice for more money in the end. I'm not saying that you can't do it yourself but I for one am not a spindle rebuilder, nor do I have the option of downtime should problems arise or if it goes south in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyolddo View Post
    If you have the CD that came with your machine, there is an exploded view of the spindle. Looks like 4 total bearings. At this point, you have nothing to loose in taking it apart. If you don't have the IPL, I could email it to you in .pdf format.
    Thank you for your reply.

I have had a look for the CD but all we have had from Hurco by the looks of it is paper instructions in a substantial folder. If you can mail me the pdf that would be fantastic.
    or attach it here to a reply you make.

Thank you again for everyones help on this matter.

John

Quote Originally Posted by SKICARB View Post
    Yeah, you could do you own spindle repair, but how long will it last, Unless you know what the factory uses for preload and how they measure and adjust it you are taking a shot in the dark. We've all done bearings on our own BPorts, but this aint no BP. A new or rebuilt comes with a warranty, doing your own doesn't. Take your pick, let the pro's do it or get into the spindle repair business for a day. Repair it right once, or repair it twice for more money in the end. I'm not saying that you can't do it yourself but I for one am not a spindle rebuilder, nor do I have the option of downtime should problems arise or if it goes south in a week.
    To be honest I am very dissapointed with the lifespan of the spindle. For a spindle not to be worked hard and die just after warrenty period is for me a badly designed piece of engineering. Our other machines CNC lathes etc are way over 7 years old and the bearings on the chuck spindle are still going strong and they harder worked than my Hurcos. If they have them in stock all the time they obviously know of the design problem (the hurco engineer confirmed this) and should change the design in a way so it lasts a life time of the machine.
    You dont buy a car and expect to change the engine ever 3 years of normal usage do you.

Here's an article on spindle bearings. Out of curiosity, how many hours are on the machine? I suspect the spindle life is a result of it being prepacked as opposed to running in constant oil lube. There's only so many hours in a prelubricated bearing, grease is going to break down.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=artBody;col1

Out of curiosity, what's the last eight digits of the serial number? Could be there's been a revision change to the spindle.