588,620 active members*
4,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > VM17 lifting the Z axis with motor removed

VM17 lifting the Z axis with motor removed

Need to life the Z axis on a machine that is no longer powered. The Z axis motor is removed. Milltronics tells me they lift it with a hoist and the leadscrew freely spins. Need to move the blocking from under the spindle to under the carriage for a unit move. I had planned to make a part so I could drive the screw with a 1/2" drive ratchet wrench or similar but apparently I could just jack up the carriage with a jack on the table? The table is about 2/3 of the way back to the column. Have read it should be all the way back but not sure that is necessary. If that needs to be moved I can't support the z axis with the table during the table move.

Re: VM17 lifting the Z axis with motor removed

The brake in the motor normally provided the holding power so with the motor removed, the head does move pretty free. My vm-17 is in the same state right now and just grabbing the drive pulley and turning it by hand (not easy to turn) the head drops back to the blocks instantly. I have little doubt that you could use a jack to lift it - the ball screw should spin as the head is lifted. I can't comment on the proper position of the table for moving the machine.

What is the drive pulley you mention? I haven't looked at this closely and don't have a good picture of that area (it's a machine we don't own yet) but I thought the motor connected directly to the ball screw shaft. One concern I have is after the carriage is set on a block the leadscrew will be in a slightly different position. I want to remount the motor for moving (seems like this would be easier than disconnecting it and transporting it separately but I could be wrong) but if the shaft is in a different position and with the brake locked this could be an issue. I could lift the carriage slightly but I think ideally the weight would be off the ballscrew for transport.

Some machine have direct motor to ball screw coupling, some machines use belted pulleys.

center the X table, move the table back in Y block the head behind the spindle nose. Remove the motor if needed.
    The blocking will support the head during transport, assuming you are not bouncing thru pot holes etc.
    the key ways on the motor and ball screw shaft will be aligned the same as when you removed the motor.

sportybob