587,214 active members*
3,787 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Watchdog Led

Watchdog Led

I have a bmc30 ssm. It is a ultimax 3. The motherboard was dead so I replaced it. The machine still wouldn't start but after pulling the graphics card it did post. I put in a new graphics card just a single screen and now everything works for the most part but there's a few issues. The machine sat for several years so that's not surprising. First when you hit the tool release button or try to do a auto tool change the drawbar opens and the spindle purge works but the control stops and says the drawbar failed to open. I then have to go into diagnostics to close the drawbar. I'm guessing its a switch but that's just a guess?
    The bigger issue is that after homing I go to run warm-up. After a little while of running warmup the motor power goes of and everthingstops. The screen is locked and will do nothing. The watchdog led on the canbus card is lit up. If I don't run warm-up and let the machine sit while powered on it will stay powered for about an hour but will do the same thing it just takes a bit longer.
    Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions.

Thanks
    Ben

Hi,

is your PC on Hurco machine open black case or closed silver case? Anyway, i have the same problem on the old version Hurco VMX24 and the problem was console flat panel node board. But, i would look is there pot-not on servos and 5V power supply.

The machine has the closed silver cabinet. It was made in 1997. It has crt monitors not flat panel. I'm not sure what pot your talking about. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ben

POT-NOT is flashing errors on servo drives ( Yaskawa ) if there is a short-connection in limit switches or limit switch cabels. Can you look that error? Also, would be good to try measure 5V on power supply - it is when you open silver cabinet right from CPU card. I have attached photo.
    You should have stabil 5V, this could be your problem. Measure relative to grey wire ( 0V ): yellow 5V, brown 12V, orange -12V and blue 24V
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  

Thank you for replying Darko. My machine is a little different. The power terminals are on the left side in mine. Also my machine has baldor dc brush servos and the drives are servo dynamics 1525s. I will check the voltages as you suggest. I'm pretty sure that when the error occurs the drives show no fault leds because the drives relays go off and cut power to the drives. Also the led on the motion control card go off. The only lights still on are for the hard drive and the watchdog on the canbus.

Thanks
    Ben

Can you check red lamps on backplane board? Should be lighting red when there is voltage ( not all of them ).

I had a chance to check the voltages and I had 5.16v,13.4v, and 26v. The negative 12v showed 0.01v. I'm not sure about measuring negative voltages. Is it something that should have shown up on the meter or something I did wrong. Also Darko I'm not sure what the backplane board is.

Thanks
    Ben

Backplane board is like a motherboard in regular computers. Should be inside your silver case, all the boards ( DSP, CPU, VGA, Canbus ) are connected in that board.
    Can you please send me photos of your el.cabinet to my mail: [email protected] so i can check over schematics.

I will take some photos this evening and send them. As far as a backplane board I don't have that setup. I have a hunter industrial isa motherboard.

Thanks again
    Ben

Is this your control?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-06-07 12.41.35.jpg  

Hi Darko, yes that's what I have. Sorry I haven't been able to get you a picture yet. I have confirmed that the
    -12v is out. Im not sure what the control uses it for. It starts and runs for a little bit before the watchdog comes on. Would this be a problem that would be causing the watchdog to come on or just a symptom of some other issue? Also I got the problem with the drawbar fixed. The cylinder wasn't opening all the way and pushing the switch in time. I upped the input air pressure from 80 psi to 88 psi and that got it opening correctly. Thanks for trying to help me get this going.

Ben

Ok here goes my best effort to explain as it was explained to me. The watchdog is a timer that is used to make sure information is being passed properly through the control. When information is sent a timer starts and if the reply is not received before the timer runs out it signals to lock out the system and remove motor power. This is a safety to prevent runaway motors and other system errors from causing a crash or unsafe condition. The -12v supply as well as the +12v supply are used by the control to send these messages between boards. It is a function of rs232 and rs485 that requires the -12v for parts of the information being passed back and forth. The machine would run without the -12v for a period of time until the timer ran out. In short I need to have the power supply repaired(which I knew). Now most importantly I know why. Thanks again Darko for trying to help.

Ben

Sorry i didnt response in time, i was away. So, you send power supply to repair?

Yes the gentleman who explained what my issue was and what was really going on can also fix the power supply. He can also fix any of the other boards in the machine as long as the parts or chips that have gone bad are not impossible to source.

Thanks
    Ben