587,215 active members*
3,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Water Cooled Spindle Step by Step

Hi, just got my Water cooled spindle today.

Could someone simplify the process in a step by step way.

The motor is a 2.2Kw with matched inverter

The motor has only 3 pins, 1, 2 and 3 ,no ground connection

Does the inverter needs a 12v supply

Do I need to connect the 220v line after everything have been hooked up.

Thanks as always for any help, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey001 View Post
    Hi, just got my Water cooled spindle today.

Could someone simplify the process in a step by step way.

The motor is a 2.2Kw with matched inverter

The motor has only 3 pins, 1, 2 and 3 ,no ground connection

Does the inverter needs a 12v supply

Do I need to connect the 220v line after everything have been hooked up.

Thanks as always for any help, Jeff
    Did you not get a wiring diagram...or picture...or anything you could share?

Just engaging my telepathetic sensory organ.....Contact made..........What's with the Elk?
    Keith

This is a picture of spindle and inverter

Come from this Ebay seller

love-happyshopping
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle.jpg   Inverter.jpg  

Jeff, there are a couple of ongoing discussions about setup/configuration of this spindle.

This is specific to the VFD you have (I have it too). There are copies of the complete documentation, which is very helpful.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74592

This is more generic, but still worth reading -

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68736

I think there are a couple more, but you'd have to search around for them.

Steve

Take a look in this forum from last week for a note on chinese spindles. I posted exactly what you need to get going.

So, if I understand well, hook up the two wire (hot + neutral) for the 220v.

After that, will be able to program my VFD, thought I needed some 12 or 24 volts to program it and then connect to the 220v.

Will try after my electrician get me a outlet with 220v near my router.

Jeff

So, if I understand well, hook up the two wire (hot + neutral) for the 220v.

After that, will be able to program my VFD, thought I needed some 12 or 24 volts to program it and then connect to the 220v.

Will try after my electrician get me a outlet with 220v near my router.

Jeff
    You may have a 0-10V for speed control.
    Keith

No you DO NOT need any 10-24V to program the VFD. That is an OPTION if you want to control it from your control software (like MACH3).

Start simple.

1. hook up the drive to the VFD
    2. hook up the 220VAC to the VFD
    3. program the VFD
    4. start routing

See the other thread for the details of these steps.

After you get it going and you want to get fancy and run it through your control software, then you will need to purchase a driver board, and do some re-programming and some wiring - much more complex.

Start simple.

The VFD supplies 24VDC (or is it 12VDC, can't remember) for use with an external switch to turn the spindle on and control direction (FOR and REV). I documented this in the Huanyang thread and there is a good diagram in the documentation. I am finding this very handy.

I have not (yet) played around with controlling spindle speed as that does require a separate board, and I believe, an external 0-10VDC signal to determine the speed. AllyD has some info posted in the same thread about what's required to make this work.

FYI: I would also mention that the Huanyang VFD from my vendor (linearmotionbearings2008) came pre-configured to work in North America. I didn't have to adjust any settings to get it running. Actually there was one setting to get the RPM displayed correctly, but the unit was 100% operational when power was applied. Your mileage may vary.

Steve

Most of the settings are correct and you will, most likely, get it running "out of the box" However You really should go through all the settings amd understand them before pushing the run button. MAgic smoke is real hard to reinsert.

One parameter in particular you should check is PD142 (rated motor current) and set it to your motor spec which in my case was 7.5 while the default was 11 (max of the VFD)

Now having this set too high will not stop your spindle running it will however cook it if you apply a large load to the motor while cutting as it will ramp up to this max..... smoke escape!

There is another thread on an Aussie woodworking forum where I've posted my findings and settings.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=96380
    Cheers

So, if I understand well your posting on the woodworking forum, I should feed the 220v to the VFD, do some programming, and then after this is all done, connect the motor to the VFD, is that right.

Thanks for your help, this is greatly appreciated, Jeff

Hi Jeffrey

I would hook up the spindle but I would not push the run button until the improtant bits are set. IE motor rated voltage and current.

The VFD has alot of internal protection so if you push it too hard like trying to stop reall fast without a braking resistor it will detect an over voltage/current and shut down letting the spindle coast to a stop. Its pretty idiot proof just remember to push the stop button after an fault to get it to clear.

I tend to read the whole manual once... even if it makes little sense the first time, then go back thru it and start playing.

Some settings have little or no effect while others like max current are there to protect your motor. There is a bunch of stuff about PID loops which mean nothing if you don't have a tacho for example. Likewise DC braking is not really a feature you are going to need and is only active for 10hz down (so 600 rpm)

If you skim thru the parameters it will become obvious which sets you can ignore and which ones you may want to play with.

Another thing that has been mentioned by others is that heat from the motor is negligable under no load conditions.... except when you are running it real slow. I run mine for short burst while testiog without water be cause its convienient and I have seen how little heat I was getting under normal conditions.

Just remember taht any posts for people outside north america will be running 220vac 50hz or even 380 3phase

Cheers

Mark

Hi, thanks for the advice, yes I read the manual, but I always like got get others felling before doing something I could regret.

My electrician is suppose to come this morning, after that will try to hook it up and make some test.

But first, I must finish installing the motor.

Will keep you inform,

Again, thank you all, Jeff

You're probably already aware of this, but you should use a heavy duty shielded cable for attaching your spindle to the VFD. These spindles put out a lot of noise and it may affect your low voltage signals in the vicinity.

I used a 4 wire 16 GA, double shielded wire specifically for spindles. Other people have had good success with heavy gauge shielded speaker wire, and it's much less costly.

Steve

I have downloaded the Zip file of the manual, pics are posted on the first page of this thread.

For now, I think I have enough info (I think) to get it worked, just have to finish installing the motor inside the head of my router, a lot of mods and machining process.

Thanks

Hi, did someone put a switch between the 220 outlet and the VFD, as a safety feature.

My house is pretty old so my electrical panel has no breaker but fuses like the one on the attached picture.

If so, since the 220v consist of 2 live 110v, how do I connect that switch.

Thanks, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuse-30Amp.jpg  

The VFD that I have (Huanyang) doesn't have a built in on/off switch. I believe the documentation recommends installing a magnetic switch designed for 220V and 10A minimum. Maybe that was in the Hitachi documentation, because I can't find the reference right now.

Anyway, in North America, a 220V switch takes both 110V hot leads and switches them both on/off. This is what I used, although a magnetic switch would be a better choice because it stays "off" if you happen to lose power while running the machine.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/110-...f-Switch/H8238

Steve

Be warned that the inverter states that the motor should not be started and stopped by a contactor before the inverter. Additionally nothing should be installed between the inverter and the motor.

It is fine to use the contactor for isolation but starting and stopping must be done using the inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by Manual
    Do not install any contactor and other components of capacitor or varistor on the output side of the inverter. Otherwise it will cause malfunctions and damages of components of the inverter.
    Do not install any switch component like air circuit breaker or contactor at the output of the inverter. If any of such components must be installed because of the requirements of process and others, it must be ensured that the inverter has no output when the switch acts. In addition, it is forbidden to install any capacitor for improvement of power factor or any varistor against thunder at the output. Otherwise it will cause malfunctions, tripping protection and damages of components of the inverter. Please remove them as shown in the below diagram.
    It will affect the service life of the inverter if a contact is connected to the front end of input of the inverter to control its starts and stops. Generally it is required to control it through FOR or REV terminals. Special attention should be paid to its use in the case of frequent starts and stops.

Hi, thanks for your advices.

That's why I'm a littre mixed up.

First, to hook up my VFD, I must remove the fuse from the electrical panel

Second, connect the cable to the VFD.

Third, connet cable to the electrical panel.

Is replacing the fuse back in the panel is not like placing a switch between electrical panel and the VFD ?

My objective would be to place the switch before the inverter, but not using it to turn the motor on or off but act like a breaker as a safety feature since my electrical panel use fuse instead of breaker.

Please keep posting, everybody, Thanks, Jeff

My objective would be to place the switch before the inverter, but not using it to turn the motor on or off but act like a breaker as a safety feature since my electrical panel use fuse instead of breaker.
    That would be fine. It basically means that the motor should be stopped whenever the contactor / switch is opened or closed.

Page 1 of 4 123