587,684 active members*
3,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wells-Index Z-Axis Replacement Gear

I was machining a part tonight when my Z-Axis froze up. After getting the machine broken down into a pile of parts... I found the problem to be a nylon gear in the Z-Axis gearbox.

I have a 1978 vintage Wells-Index Model 850 (I think) and I need to find a replacement gear. The gear is 1/2 inch thick, 56 teeth, and 3.64 inches in diameter. Any ideas who would have a replacement part?

Also... does anyone have a manual that they could scan the parts list for me? I'd really find that helpful!

Thanks,
    Jerry

Call Wells-Index!

They are still in business and do a fantastic job supporting their old machines. I have been able to get any part I've ever needed.

231-759-0950 ask for Rick Robinson.

John

Smile Thanks!

Thanks,

I contacted them via email about the same time I made this post... I figured I would check options to be sure I'd get an answer. New gear is $81.00 which is about what I expected.

I have a 35W laser engraver/cutter and I have some 1/4 inch sheets of delrin... I'm tempted to use gerar.lsp in AutoCAD to create a pattern and cut one from multiple sheets.

I need to get a gear puller and yank this one to see if the center is round, keyed, or whatever. If it has some sort of key... I may try the laser method... I could have it done in a couple of hours for free. (Hey... I'm cheap.)

Naw... I have a job to finish up... I'll just do it right.

Hey... while I'm thinking about it... does anyone have a PDF of the manual? It would have been great to see how that stuff went together before I tore it apart... I was afraid of breaking something... I figured it all out... but it would have gone MUCH faster with the manual!

Thanks again,
    Jerry
    http://www/rutherford-robotics.com