587,237 active members*
4,416 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

West Amp Servomotor help

I have picked up a mill with a blown controller by anilam ( Crusader 2 ) mid 1980's vintage . I want to retrofit the machine. According to the prints that I have the the original controller's drive package was West Amp with tachometer feedback. There is no mention of encoders for any of the axises. The motors are also west amp 90 volt 10 Amp. That is all of the information that I can read on the motors. Can anybody give me a lead on how to identify what type of motors I have? If possible can I adapt encoders to them? Then any recommendation on drivers?
    Thank You

I am in the proess of doing the same, only my motors were SEM. Goto Rutex/Servo Drive to see my thread. If the motors are similar to mine they an easily have an enoder added to them. The original Crusader recieved its feedback from glass scales instead of encoders. I am using the Rutex drives. My motors are 120VDC and Gecko drives will only handle 75 or 80 VDC. What type of machine BP or Lagun?
    Kent

Thanks again. You are right about the glass scales. I think the machine was made by cincinatti. Cannot find any nameplates on the mill. It is a bed style mill with a table area approximately 24" x 36". Other than the controls gone the machine is in pristine shape. Again thank you for the lead.

Johnd, I am doing the same. Let me know if you need what kind of encoder to use and how to mount it

west amp motor encoders

I sure would appreciate any help. I was looking at using US Digital E5D encoders. Any sugggestions would be appreciated. I am going to use Rutex system an tie it all toegether with Mach 2 software

I like USD's HD-25.

Darek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jan21_022.jpg  

Per advice of Rutex I'm using E5D, it cost more than E5 but is more immune to noise.

Use only diffenrential out encoder with the Rutex drive, this will save you some noise issues.

If you want quality encoder with metal case, you may use this:

http://ajaxcnc.com/images/comp_encoder_large.jpg

High resolution is not a problem, Rutex drive have step multiplier.
    Alex
    www.ebfcnc.com

Anilam Crusader 2's

I see some good advice here..... with the Crusader 2's I've dealt with it is common to have a servo rated for higher voltage than the drives. The Glentek drives used by Anilam were also limited to 90 volts. If you are going to add encoders to the SEM's from a Crusader 2 setup you will probably end up with a 5mm stub shaft ( too short to connect to an encoder ) on the tach end of the servo. You can remove that and install a longer piece of drill rod or make a new stub to connect your encoder to. US Digital has 5mm ID encoders..... Just make a servo endplate to mount to the SEM housing and then to connect the encoders to. Millman has done this on his mill. He's made some nice looking pieces and has pictures of them installed on this site. Just look for them. He'll help too if you have any questions.

I believe only the very old Glentek drives (GA4561-8) were limited to 100VDC, all others are good upto 170VDC.