587,682 active members*
3,618 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What are the best diy cnc kits on the net?

Hi All,

I have been looking at many diy hobby cnc kits on the net, and many are now available. Unfortunately, my bank balance does not permit medium to high end machinery. So DIY is the only option. I am a total newbie when it comes to cnc, however I have been cutting vinyl with vinyl plotter for quite a while.

I am not interested in anything big, maybe 3020 or 3040 sized (A4 or A3). I would like to cut 3-5mm plexi or MDF and engrave plastics. Most of my materials would be thin sheet material upto 5mm and would exclude aluminium and metals. So just thin sheet wood and plastics for now.

I have come across some kits on the net so far, and they are:

BluumaxCNC

MyDIYCNC - Home of the DIY Desktop CNC Machine | The Easiest Way to Desktop CNC

GoCNC.de CNC Portalfrsen CNCFrsmaschinen CNC Graviermaschinen

Only one of these kits is European. I am in the UK so importing from the US and China is expensive due to import fees and taxes.

There is another kit called the fireball but the kit costs $100's to ship to uk and that excludes import taxes, so I must rule this out.

I really like the gocnc.de kit as it is small and compact and is a nice looking table, but I have not heard that many good reviews because of all the additional stuff you need to do which is not mentioned.

The mydiycnc kit looks the best and the price is good, the table looks sturdy and compact, but according to the forum the craftsmanship of the kit is not that good, again, this scares me slightly.

The last machine is the bluumax machine. The size of the table is good but a lot of the machine is made from perspex and does not look rigid at all.

So what kit is the best, are there any other kits that I have not mentioned, I am especially interested in any european kits as I am from the UK.

Does anyone have any advice for a noobie!

Thank you very much. Alex

Good morning,

Someone presented this to me regarding the above and thought you might be able to utilize it...not 100% sure, but could be a good start...

Fred

www.exit45.com/shared/PinRouter.pdf

take a look at microcarve long running post. Unbeatable value.

Hi there,
    I´m totally new on CNCs but i´m helping a friend quote one for his workshop, budget is between $1500 and $2100 USD. After some weeks of research i´ve selected these three finalists:

Bluechik, looks sturdy and i like the chain drive... only putdown is that it is made of MDF and some sealing is needed.

blueChick 12"x36" CNC Router Kit v4.2 (Roller Chain) (V 4.2 chain drive), cutting area 13” X 36” X 4”, $1739 US

Zenbot looks great, i don´t like the timing belt drive but it is made of HDPE:
    Zenbot 2424 (timing belt), Cutting area 24” X 24” X 4” $1847 USD
    Zenbot 2424 CNC Router

Handibot (portable),$2500+ USD ?? still in development but being portable makes it VERY attractive, specially to work on someone´s house and make his jaw drop
    Handibot?: A Smart Digital Power Tool by ShopBot Tools ? Kickstarter
    Handibot®
    Only down is that it doesn´t seem as precise or fast than a fixed CNC.

I´d appreciate any comments or suggestion of great value CNCs that cost between 1500-2100 USD. Thanks in advance!

I didn't hear good things about the Zenbot, I thought about it, but from what I hear they aren't very ridged.
    Microcarve and CNC Router Parts kits are your best bet.

A bit more money, but far superior to any of the above options.
    CRP2448 2' x 4' CNC Router Kit | CNCRouterParts
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Aluminum extrusions are VERY attractive, but way out of budget... more than $2,000 USD for the mechanical parts only. Add $430 electronics, $150 Mach3 and $100 an old PC and it comes up to $3000 tax included :O
    Microcarve support and info doesn´t look as good as Bluechick´s, and the cut area is too small.

The good thing about CNC routers is that if some part is not stiff enough, there is always the chance to cut some aluminum and reinforce it as needed, don´t you think?

For now, Bluechick V 4.2 sounds good. Seems like the whole build can be done at less than $2300 including tax and shipping... great value for a 13" X 36" cut area. Only Joe´s Hybrid could compete but being a complete newb i´d prefer to avoid the torsion box approach in order to ease assembly.

Joes Hybrid doesn't use torsion boxes. It's mostly metal.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Microcarve doesn't have a lot of documentation since it's such an easy machine to setup and from my experince the support is superb..
    But since it's not big enough you're in a bit of a pickle, the one I've been in for some time!
    I was seriously considering the FireBall series of routers but rigidity is a bit questionable although the price is rather good.
    Past that you are at CNC Router Parts kits or something cheaper, but it seems there isn't much between the square foot desktop machine and the larger machines kits.

Everyone will tell you that budget is the biggest obstacle for a first cnc - the machine itself, the electronics, software licenses etc... Aside from the machine - the electronics and software are likely to be a fixed cost, it won't matter what size or quality of machine you choose the software and electronics are likely the same price. I am building my third machine, and I should have listened to advice before this point - bigger is better, such a small machine will limit your future activity. Best idea would be to try and find a larger used machine for sale - or bite the bullet and buy a larger kit. The crp kit is a pretty good deal.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk

Graunblau's CNC is really nice. Wish I could afford it

Check out Microcarves BBX design. I believe you can build that to have a 12"x12" cutting envelope. Microcarves machines rock! I started out with one and would build another one if needed.

BBX...Design and Prototyping

I am buying a second microcarve shortly but want an eventual CRP.
    How much of a learning curve was it to assemble and otherwise figure out the CRP?

Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    I am buying a second microcarve shortly but want an eventual CRP.
    How much of a learning curve was it to assemble and otherwise figure out the CRP?
    Not bad at all, everything is just bigger and faster

Re: What are the best diy cnc kits on the net?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon69 View Post
    Graunblau's CNC is really nice. Wish I could afford it
    I second this.
    I'm planning my build and keeping a close eye on the budget. Graunblaus design is $4000 complete. If my budget approaches about $3500, I'm just going to get one of his kits. There is no way I could build a machine half as good as his. Very few could I think.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

It just so happens that i may some some parts usable for that design . Check a previous post from the last day re extruded aluminium .
    Quote Originally Posted by vtx1029 View Post
    Check out Microcarves BBX design. I believe you can build that to have a 12"x12" cutting envelope. Microcarves machines rock! I started out with one and would build another one if needed.

BBX...Design and Prototyping

Maybe this ? :banana: