588,130 active members*
5,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What is the best way to cut 8020?

Currently I own a 10" table saw, a small vertical band saw, and an abrasive chop saw. So of these combinations which saw with what blade would be the best combination for cutting 8020? Please take into consideration the tools that I have available because a new machine build is immanent.
    Is the voice in my head bothering you?

I never cut any 8020 but I would guess a miter saw with a carbide tipped blade would be my first try.
    And if you have a table saw and a band saw and use them even now and then you will find a compound miter saw handy for nice square or angled cuts.
    I have just a cheap Delta and use it all the time.
    http://www.thisoldworkshop.com/delta...saw-review.htm

Edit:
    Of what you have listed I would try the table saw.

I used a miter saw with the included 10" 60 tooth carbide blade to cut all my 80/20 (and other aluminum stuff). Just cut slowly and clamp everything down.

I do mine on the table saw. Wear a face mask, hot chips sting.

with the tools you have, the tablesaw with a non-ferrous TCG blade (triple chip grind) would be the best option. The same sort of blade on a miter saw would work equally well. Abrasive blades are for cutting steel, they clog when cutting aluminum and do not make a clean cut.
    W.L. Hall Workshop, College of Design, University of Minnesota
    http://design.umn.edu/current_students/leo/hall/index.html

The table saw method is pretty much the route I was thinking. At the moment I cant seem to find my miter fence or my rip fence (it might have got lost in my last move). So I think I may make a sled for the ol table saw. Always wanted one and the miter/crosscut fence was pretty lets just say not built very well.
    Is the voice in my head bothering you?

I saw 2'x 2' aluminium bars on table saw and used FREUD negative tooth angle sawblade for aluminum. Surfaces are perfect...PS! protect your eyes.

Veiko

I cut mine between a miter and table saw. The table saw did a better job. (Cheap dewalt miter saw at my house, and a very old, very big table saw with the negative rake blade at my friends woodworking shop)

I finished the ends on a 6 foot belt sander. The ends look amazing.

I have the cheapest Ryobi table saw you can buy at Home Depot.

I purchased this blade, at home depot

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Freud-D1084L-10-Inch-Diameter-8-Inch/dp/B001TH8HK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1266457620&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Freud D1084L 10-Inch Diameter 84t TCG with 5/8-Inch Arbor: Home Improvement[/ame]

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

It cuts like a dream. The edges come out almost mirror finished. I didn't have to sand or remove any sharp edges.

I used it to cut 8020 1515 series aluminum extrusion and it has worked amazingly well.

Just make sure you push straight. I actually did not use my fence because it would sometimes get caught on the aluminum.

I clamped the pieces to my miter gauge to push them through.

Funny coincidence, as I just cut my first piece of 2040 8020 extrusion tonight using a saw blade I bought in 2007 from Amazon.com on my 12" DeWalt miter saw. I even just unwrapped the saw blade from its original packaging tonight. Here is the blade I had bought:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T7AB/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: Freud LU89M012 12-Inch 86 Tooth TCG Non-Ferrous Metal Cutting Saw Blade with 1-Inch Arbor: Home Improvement[/ame]

But it cut through the 2040 like it was soft wood. I was very very surprised how easily it cut through the extrusions as I have very limited metalworking experience. No sparks or anything that you might see with a abrasive cut-off saw.

I'm guessing any similar blade on a miter saw would see similar results.