588,633 active members*
5,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > What can small shops do to avoid hurting the environment?

What can small shops do to avoid hurting the environment?

I have a one person shop.

With Earth Day I began to think about my own environmental impact. I also have started kayaking, and reading about our local rivers and the ways they have been abused got me thinking about it more.

So, what can I do to help?

So far I've started:

*Using citrus based cleaners instead of hydrocarbon solvents whenever possible.

*Separating my scrap metals for recycling.... brass, aluminum, stainless, all other steels.

*Keeping old clothes, sheets, and towels to use in the shop before throwing them away.

Any one have other ideas?

How hard is it for a small shop to dispose of small amounts of coolant? I've heard larger shops have a disposal service.

-Jeff
    www.JeffAlbro.net/cnc/

Good man.

Here's a link that might be of interest.

http://www.newmoa.org/prevention/top...TOKEN=10933685
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Jeff,
    Excellent thoughts, I really try and do my part but the mention of this does cause one to consider how they can lesson their own environmental impact.

Our township in Morrow county, more commonly referred to as Moron County, used to have a once a year pick up for getting rid of items such as you mention including electronics, old paint, tires, toxic material etc., etc. They stopped it a few years back, which was very unfortunate, most I believed would have gladly paid a fee for this but we were offered no choice, it just stopped. Now you see things like old tires, tv's old couches what ever along back roads. Call your township /county and see if perhaps they have or may even consider starting one.

Ken

I would say the two areas to concentrate on are oil and electricity consumption.
    When people hear about global warming the first thing they think of are the gas guzzling SUV's, trucks, etc... Many never give a second thought to the energy(pronounced pollution) it takes to generate electricity. Now I know there is no such thing as an "Energy Star" machining center, but there are other ways. One major way that isn't that uncommon is to check for air leaks so you're compressor isn't running it ba**s off. Is the building energy efficient? How's the insulation and/or the age of the HVAC unit? How about the lighting? Many communities have light replacment programs for businesses that help them install energy efficient lighting.

As far as oil goes, how many times have you walked by an idling machine and watched the waylube drip off of the ways? I know no one wants to see their machines sit, but sometimes that is unavoidable (they have to get setup once in a while) Try to plan your day/setups so that you don't have to fire the machine up until you're absolutely ready(i.e. program is ready, tooling is near the machine ready to be loaded, etc.) Also, make sure you turn the oil skimmer off! That's the best way to waste gallons of coolant...

I know some of this seems real obvious but it just goes to show how easy it is to overlook stuff....

:cheers:
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

Quote Originally Posted by InspirationTool View Post
    I have a one person shop.

With Earth Day I began to think about my own environmental impact. I also have started kayaking, and reading about our local rivers and the ways they have been abused got me thinking about it more.

-Jeff
    Most electrical co-ops and municiple utilities offer free energy screening. They send someone who is experianced out to observe and run some tests. They have the equipment and experiance to make recommendations that you can adopt, can recommend programs such as the lighting suggestion offered above and generally save you money while helping you with your concern. It is an exellent place to start. I had them come out to my home when I moved in and followed their recommendations and saved about 13% on my monthly bill, bought a new fridge to replace the one in the house which we didn't like anyway, also a programmable t-stat for the A/C system and recieved a discount on them through the electic company. Responsibility in the shop is a start but remember your home to. No matter someone's views on global warming these can be money saving as well as help out your utility company which keeps rates down for everyone.

Scott
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain