587,092 active members*
2,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What caused this?

You may recognize this as the finger bones from the Thingiverse skeleton but it is one of my first ABS prints. This is the first time I've seen a print pull several parts off of the raft and toss them around the bed but not damage the print in it's entirety. I've had parts pulled off the bed but I've never seen a part pulled off the raft where the raft stayed on the bed? Any ideas what might have led to this? Maybe the print head heater lost power for a second?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3894.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	316346

Re: What caused this?

It hasn't pulled anything off the raft the part in contact with the raft is still there so it looks like you have a delamination on one side of the print bed probably caused by a draft something as simple as opening a door or even walking past can affect ABS prints in this way, printhead heater would not have this effect. With ABS a simple cardboard box top and bottom removed and slide over the printer can stop this problem occuring, easier than a full enclosure not as effective but better than nothing, I keep one printer in a large cupboard with an energy saving lamp which is always on temp around 25C for ABS I also store all opened filament in same cupboard to prevent moisture absorbtion and keep filament in good condition.