588,210 active members*
4,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What companies

Ok, today I was brainstorming today. I have a bridgeport mill and want to get my name out there. I am guessing the best way to do it is to cold call some companies. My question would be what kind of companies would use my services I currently have.

In the future I am interested in learning more about tungsten/carbide facing for earth grinding machines

and then hyrdalic repair

Of course I would need a lot more knowledge in how to do those things but I just need a start

My question to you guys is what kind of companies needs ONE OF A KIND machine shop services..

I was thinking like contracting companies , plumbing, electrical, welding, then maybe civil construction

I am just brainstorming here

Help me out..

-garrett

Well I went thru the fone book for my area and started calling picked up 2 customers out of ten calls, one I couldn't service on the time schedule they needed but still picked up some work with them, the other gave me work on my part time bases and fell behind 6000.00 six grand, but I will tell you, took him 3 years to pay me but he did. We are friends to this day after never knowing him before. I got most of my jobs from the guy I worked with when a new owner came in, somehow the foreman found out I had a little bridget at home and then it when from there, Must say they were good paying jobs also.
    Just to let you know all of my machining has been idle for a year tho and that means full time also. Just get out and talk sell yourself. Deliver eat it live it and sleep it.... contacts will come. But it takes time, some company is always looking for better delivery faster delivery cheaper better quality and just someone they know they can work with no matter how miserable it makes your life and family.Heck I had one company that did molds for the big three never did molds but had machining knowledge, That was good 4 year partnership So in the words of nike just do it.... everyone you talk to is a prospect...if not talk to someone else It's not easy but it is fun if you like being scared and the adreneline

Quote Originally Posted by albor View Post
    Well I went thru the fone book for my area and started calling picked up 2 customers out of ten calls, one I couldn't service on the time schedule they needed but still picked up some work with them, the other gave me work on my part time bases and fell behind 6000.00 six grand, but I will tell you, took him 3 years to pay me but he did. We are friends to this day after never knowing him before. I got most of my jobs from the guy I worked with when a new owner came in, somehow the foreman found out I had a little bridget at home and then it when from there, Must say they were good paying jobs also.
    Just to let you know all of my machining has been idle for a year tho and that means full time also. Just get out and talk sell yourself. Deliver eat it live it and sleep it.... contacts will come. But it takes time, some company is always looking for better delivery faster delivery cheaper better quality and just someone they know they can work with no matter how miserable it makes your life and family.Heck I had one company that did molds for the big three never did molds but had machining knowledge, That was good 4 year partnership So in the words of nike just do it.... everyone you talk to is a prospect...if not talk to someone else It's not easy but it is fun if you like being scared and the adreneline

What kind of companies were these that you looked at in the phone book?

manufacturing, fabricating, mold, gauge, tool & die, You could even check out some cnc shops. Sometimes they will contract out the first set up or fixtures to be built,

So any other kind of companies? What about just companies that aren't in the industry... What kind of companies would need machining work done..

Construction?? House Contracting? Any luck?