588,172 active members*
4,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > what is the different between drill bit and router bit

what is the different between drill bit and router bit

I want to know what is the different between drill bit and router bit, if all I want to do is use the bit to cut plastic 1/8" thick with nice and clean cut.
    I did try using 1/8" diameter down cut router bit, the result is bad, just because all the material stay inside and melt on the cut edge, then I use a good upcut wood bit, it is very good and the waste just fly everywhere.
    Do the normal drill bit and cut thru the material too, is there any harm to the motor at all, if this is ok, I am thinking to buy the drill doctor too, this is a easy way to shape the drill bit, but so far I do not see any router bit sharpener.
    the router is porter 7518, and I use 16000 rpm.feed rate is about 8ft/min.
    Any comment, thanks.

Router cuts on the SIDE of the bit.

Drill cuts at the NOSE.

The geometry of the cutters are optimized to cut in the intended and primary direction.

Look MUCH more closely at how the cutting surface is shaped/relieved and you should see a/the difference.....

if 90% of the time I use the router bit to cut and under the bit is a empty slot for the waste to drop, can I use drill doctor to sharpen the bits to save money.
    What is the best rpm for cutting plastic.
    Thanks for your info.

You can get endmills or routers with drill points and fast helix's like the drills for chip removal.
    Speeds and feeds will determine if you make chips or molten plastic. I would thinks that your cutter life would be exceptional so you would need to sharpen cutter often. You local tool sales person should be able to direct you to a tool sharpening shop.
    At 16,000rpm I would have feeds at 60ipm+ for starters.

To cut plastic you will want to get a router bit ground for that material. I think it is called an O flute? I bought a 1/4" dia, 2 flute straight bit from McMaster Carr. That darn thing didn't even sound like it was cutting material. Just a slight buzz. Nothing sticking to the bit, no chips left in the kerf, and incredibly nice finish. The grind of the bit is almost at a negative angle. It really does the job. I forgot to mention; I tried using a drill bit once to machine urethane foam. It went into a wipping motion when I brought it up to about 8000 rpm. There is not enough material in the center of the bit. It is all flute, no body. Didn't work at all.

what is the phone # for Mcmaster Carr and what is the part# that you are using, sound a good stuff for me too.
    Thanks a lot.

onsrund.com....

I can't help it....but what's the difference between you thumb and your index finger......

Seems like the amount of smoke produced during use is the only difference