587,997 active members*
1,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

What happened to www.cncgurus.com ?

Anyone know where www.cncgurus.com went ? it seems to of vanished !

Cheers

Tricky

Looks like the owner disappeared again, didn't he do that last time and left his site to self implode? I guess Karma does truly work.

The Registrar has the site locked.....

Are you sure? If that was true the page would not be showing his directory, the forum software he was using looks like it was deleted, from the looks of the errors. If the domain name was locked you would just get a "can not be found" message.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    The Registrar has the site locked.....
    You're right, I see that now.

www.cncgurus.com

Sad really, I thought a site like that was reasonably automated and didn't need to much mtce.

These sites need CONSTANT CARE, that's why I'm here as much as possible, and have many ways of getting reached in case of problems. Those guy's said MANY bad things about this site, but where are they now??? exactly

Omg !

Sorry,

Guys like me really apreciate the hours of effort that has gone into producing your site, especially as it caters for the DIY'er as well as the profesional.

The effort you put in really shows as your site is well orgainised and full of stuff which dosn't generate itself.

I found a couple of people from this and the other site really helpful who helped me answer a couple of problems i had a while ago, I see no reason why others involved in that other site have to make bad comments about others, its all about helping each other out at the end of the day.

If the other site wanted to i'm sure the posting forum could look after itself, even if the rest of it was left to its own devices.

It maybe something to do with F-a_n-u-c P_a-r-a-m-e-t-ers or copied / shared sofware, as I seem to remember that that was a frequent topic of discussion !!!

I remember needing a "P" word or rather bit number a while ago when i lost my machine memory battery power (leson learn't) and had no backup, and when i contacted the guy who i reconised frequently posted months previously, he went a bit quiet and denied all knowledge ! I think Mr F's legal dept. must of made a visit :violin:

Keep up the good work

Cheers
    Tricky

Those codes are not really an issue anymore. That was in the past. There was some people before that were a real pain but they got kicked out. They were trying to pawn off cracked software as well. I think that the two sites are not the same at all. That site was about big dollar machines. This is a hobby site. I enjoy both sites or did now that they are gone. I have gotton a lot of ideas from both sites. You have sparked my intrest with the home built machines,but I think my wife might not talk to me for a while.

What can I do to change the perception of this site only being for hobby machines? Their is only one section that is DIY.

Paul,
    I hope that I did not hurt your feelings. That is the strongest posting to this site. Perhaps you should get some feedback on this issue, however your site has a lot more people on the cncgurus. You also don't want to mess up a good thing.

No you didn't hurt my feeling but I want to broaden the people the site attracts.

not really sure what you can do to make it more of an industrial or non-hobby site. the problem as i see it isn't content, but rather the people you seek to get here. I am a hobbiest and work witha lot of companies that run larger machines and the problem is even though these guys are awsome at what they do the majority of them that i know just dont browse the interent like a lot of us do.

I hope I havn't stuck my foot in it again !, I did say:

"as it caters for the DIY'er as well as the profesional"

Maybe some might think that its more DIY oriented because with the exeption of a couple of CAD /CAM adverts most ads (iv'e seen) are aimed more at the home workshop or small shop rather than the guy with 5,000sq foot of Haas machines or what ever.

Paul must need alot of dosh to keep all this going so he can't turn down ads because of the product.

There is nothing wrong with the DIY content, as anything that encourages electronics and engineering must be a good thing, especially with the younger generation as it might lead to them wanting to take up a job in engineering.

In Norfolk area (Great Britain) there is a real shortage of skilled CNC programmers / setters.

Cheers
    Tricky

O.K. Here is my two cents on the Professional vs DIY issue:

I've been reading here for almost two years, and have been a member for a year and seven months.

It appears to me that there are a lot of professionals here. They are just not all CNC machinists. Mariss is the first one that comes to mind, but there are many many others. I don't think you can get much more professional than Mariss. We have Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, MillWrights, Electricians, Teachers, and yes, a few CNC Machinists. Then, there are the Entreprenuers and self employed among us; They are professionals too. (For whom I have great respect!)

This diversity is part of what I think makes this sight such a tremendous resource. I think the variety of experts from different disciplines is one of this sights biggest assets.

Now, having said this, I do realize that since I only read posts in about a dozen or so different forums here, that I might be missing a bigger picture. I also realize that there are probably some very good reasons Paul would want to increase the audience in certain disciplines.
    Patrick;
    The Sober Pollock

I just want to put my 2 cents in as well. I get alot of people hitting my site (homecnc.info). Many of the people who contact me are professional CNC operators. They are just wanting to have a machine at home to play with. This means that they are a DIY'er. They can't afford to get a $90,000 + machine for home use!

I believe that there are more professional CNC users here than you think. They are just involved in smaller projects for home.

It may help to get more professional CNC users, sellers, etc by getting this link on sites that deal with professional stuff. Example sites (MasterCam, DelCam, Hass, Fanuc, Carr Lane, Gibbs, Hardinge) Some magazines, (Modern Applications News www.modernapplicationsnews.com, Desktop engineering www.deskeng.com, Tooling and production www.toolingandproduction.com)
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'd love to get a newsletter that could be passed at trade shows, that would be a big help.

I work in the woodworking industry. Even though I run and program cnc equipment at work, I spend all my time here as a hobbiest. From my experience, CNC in the woodworking industry is nowhere near as large as in metalworking, and a lot of professional woodworkers don't even use computers. People knowledagble in CNC woodworking are few and far between, imo. And although it's starting to change, woodworking machinery and software has always been somewhat proprietary, so knowledge of machinery and software does not usually transfer to other machines and /or software. Which makes it even harder to find knowledgeable people.
    I know you used to have PSI and CabinetVision forums here, but noone ever posted. I occasionally read the PSI user's forum, and that only gets about 1 post a month. From all their users!!

Just my perspective.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I would be willing to bet that 75 to 80 percent or better of the diy's are in or about this industry. so my question is what do you want that is more professional? The advertisers?

if its the advertisers its been my experience that people like haas want to advertise to shop owners or people that already have machines. Probably because these people have already proven that the have the ability and need to purchase high dollar machines.

sorry rambling again... but any way, I bet most users are professionals related in someway to this industry. but you got to figure anyone using a forum for information (knowledge ) is looking to " do it themselves " otherwise whats the point of talking about it, if your ultimately going to have a tech come out and fix it? (other than comparitive opinions of machinery)

I work as a cnc machinist / programer about 50 hrs a week .
    I also do contract programing for some of the other shops in the area.
    So this forum is the cloesest thing to tech support that i have.
    The contract work on controls that i don't know and i need help with this is the place to come to.

thanks
    FORD = First On Race DAy

Page 1 of 2 12