586,065 active members*
4,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > What is your preferred micrometer?

What is your preferred micrometer?

Hi Folks

I have always loved metrology and micrometers, and would enjoy a thread on you thoughts and any pics you can post.

I will start the ball rolling with this video:

Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjCDrLmElSw

Re: What is your preferred micrometer?

Like you I am a bit of a metrology nut. Some would say obsessed! For everyday measuring I mostly rely on a Mitutoyo 293 which is somewhat coolant proof and reads in both metric and imperial. I tend to purchase anything unusual and affordable that I see in auctions, antique stores, pawn shops and garage sales. A few items from my collection are included here. Questions are welcome!

Good to see I am not the only one! Eye Candy for me!

I had a set of those Moore and Wright small hole gauges - but they were stolen!

What is the 3 gauge set?

Have you been to the USA Starrett Factory? I went to the UK Starrett Factory in 1989.

I bet you can get some bargains 2nd hand in the USA? Cheers Cliff

Good eye but I didn't take your Moore and Wright small hole gages! Incidentally there are two sizes of sets. I have attached a photo of the small set on top of a recent issue of Model Engineers Workshop magazine. These are very similar to the larger set but cover holes from 0.0625 to 0.125.

If you mean the three things in a black case with red lining, they are hole gages made by the Kwik-Chek Gage Company of Vero Beach, Florida. Each has a tapered central pin that is inserted as far as possible into the hole to be measured and the insertion depth is read from a scale on the stem. The black button on the side locks the tapered pin to save a reading. The three gages cover holes from 0.020 to 0.380 inches. Rather the same idea as the Starrett taper gauge set except the tapers are round rather than flat.

Unfortunately I haven't made it to the Starrett factory. Actually I thought that much of their stuff is now made in China...

I like the feel of MITUTOYO mics. Very well balanced and smooth.

Funny, I have almost all the above, but my level is .0002/12". My Mic set is an older mititoyo carbide tip without a friction or ratchet thimble. At work I get to play with really high end stuff though. We have Moore straight edges and step gauges, federal electronic levels, and loads of LVDTs that measure down to 10 microinch, ballbars, laser systems and auto columnators .

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Here is the display in my office. Some of these were my Dad's but most came from flea markets and estate sales. I also have a large collection that I use...well mostly they sit in my shop until I need them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0313.jpg  

I started my machining career at Starretts in the early 70's, right after the Army. I apprenticed in the Special Gage Division. Being new to the trade, I was in awe of the seasoned veterans. They seemed to know everything, but were reluctant to share! After a while, I learned how to learn from them. They didn't want to just tell you how to do something, they wanted you to try it. When you couldn't get it, they would turn you in the right direction. I didn't understand the strategy then, but I do now.
    That said, I have always been loyal to Starrett tools. However, I now find some of their tools are now made in China.
    An ironic anecdote to this is that in the early 70's we had big meetings infoming us that Japan was starting to import tooling to compete with us. The message was that we should tighten up and be extra careful on our quality of product.

I continue to support Starretts, but only those items made in the US. I try to do that with everything I buy, But it is constantly getting more and more difficult do that.

Thanks for listening,
    DicksFix

Quote Originally Posted by DicksFix View Post
    I started my machining career at Starretts in the early 70's, right after the Army. I apprenticed in the Special Gage Division. Being new to the trade, I was in awe of the seasoned veterans. They seemed to know everything, but were reluctant to share! After a while, I learned how to learn from them. They didn't want to just tell you how to do something, they wanted you to try it. When you couldn't get it, they would turn you in the right direction. I didn't understand the strategy then, but I do now.
    That said, I have always been loyal to Starrett tools. However, I now find some of their tools are now made in China.
    An ironic anecdote to this is that in the early 70's we had big meetings infoming us that Japan was starting to import tooling to compete with us. The message was that we should tighten up and be extra careful on our quality of product.

I continue to support Starretts, but only those items made in the US. I try to do that with everything I buy, But it is constantly getting more and more difficult do that.

Thanks for listening,
    DicksFix
    Very interesting - thanks for posting! Cliff

I have a half dozen inexpensive Tormach digital calipers sprinkled around on work benches and my office for general day to day use. Like almost every tool I use, end mills, calipers, rules...... There is always a drawer of Sunday best tools. If I have problems or need better results I always go to those drawers

I have lots of different micrometers. I have mics from Starrett, Mitutoyo, Tesa and even some Chinese stuff.

When I had my shop, I had a job that required a 4 to 5 inch micrometer and when I looked for one they ranged from $350.00 to $425.00.

That afternoon a guy came in selling Chinese stuff and I bought a 0 to 6 inch set of mics from him for $109.00. I used the 4 to 5 inch mic for that job then never used it again.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Like Steve I have a variety of brands Starting with a favorite 0-1" Starrett 733 with friction thimble. Most are Mitutoyo, some are unbranded Chinese and even a Polish 0-1" thread anvil mic. They all work well and are all essentially the same accuracy. Some mics are way more affordable than others. YMMV.

Don

Too bad we sent Edwards Deming to Japan in 1951. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

All of my mics are Mitutoyo digital mostly because they match my first 0-1" and I have this thing about matching (I blame my mother).

Hi Folks. Another video with ramblings on the micrometer subject.

Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64YOAQfrwQY