588,165 active members*
4,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

+What mill to purchase?

Hello,
    I need good advice on which manual mill (new or used) to purchase within $3000. It will not be used in production, just hobby. Nothing less in size as a RF45 and not bigger than a bridgeport. Would like to CNC in the end.

I was pretty much sold on the Industrial Hobbies manual mill but they have some quill slop. Kinda like the lathemasters mill but might not be big enough. I currently have a Shoptask Gold series 3in1 and am looking for better.

Have a great day,
    Bob

The quill slop on the IH mill that gets publicity isn't really that terrible. Unless your hobby needs require very accurate tolerances it would probably never bee an issue.

I was worried about it initially too, but I hardly ever extend my quill beyond three inches for the work I'm doing. Just something to consider though, even if it does have its problems they may not limit you very much depending on your application. For me I think it was good investment, but I've only had mine for a few months and made a dozen or so parts on. All turned out well so far though.

I've been warned by others about the IH quill slop.

I want/need to be able to machine a 3 inch square with all sides being a near perfect 90 degrees to each other without any repositioning. The sides should be within +/- .001 . Also need to be able to machine a cylinder bore.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the IH mill. Just wondering if I would be better off with a good used piece of iron. Maybe a Bridgeport/clone or maybe a Tree. I'm not a machinist and have only used my Shoptask and a badly worn out Bridgeport (just once) in the past.

Can't go wrong with a Bridgeport or BP clone!

Vertical mill under $3000

You might have a look at the Grizzly G3103 (6x26 inch table manual knee mill).
    I have one and am generally pleased with it.
    The quill is sloppy when extended.
    It has a 2HP motor and an R8 spindle (which can be converted to and ER32 quick change collet from Shars tool Co).

I am toying with the idea of converting the mill to CNC, so will let the appropriate forum here with my decision and any progress.
    Steve